Delay of Swapping Tranny

SlinginBeauty

Ok guys. Now i really need your help. A few weeks back my auto tranny went out in my bird. Rather than having a local tranny shop, That dont seem to know what they are doing with the tranny, i ordered an new art carr aod to replace it. After waiting for weeks to get it, i found a local friend who was willing to put it in for me. Well, not really local, lives near here and goes to school 150 miles south and stays there. He came up this weekend to do it, being that he was going to do it 2 weekends ago but do to some terrible shipping service, i didnt get it till monday, but the weather has gone completley sour. Its been raining for a day and is suppos to continue all weekend. He cant do it b/c he would have to work in the rain and i dont blame him at all. Thats why im paying him the big bucks to do it for me. lol. but the next chance he has to come up to work on it is thanksgiving. THis may sound lame but i want to get my bird going. i really miss it. Im stuck with a terrible chrysler sebring that has a bad door sensor and beeps and clicks constantly. I want to get my tranny done. I have no idea what to do. I have talked to a few local shops and all i have talked to wont do the swap b/c they cant warrenty any of their work so basically they aint garenteeing that they will get anything done. I guess i have to wait till thanksgiving to have my baby. this is terrible. IF anyone has any suggestions of what i can do to do it, other than doing it myself, and i would if it wasnt such a pain and i had the time and tools to do it. All info would be greatly appreciated. lol. Im just venting b/c i dont know anything you guys could possibly do about it. Its been a few months, whats another one matter i guess. P.S. Looking foward to paying for the premium again considering i was paying 225 a gallon when the tranny went out and now i can get it for 175 a gallon. Someday!!!

Relax and hope for good weather at Thanksgiving.
Its a big job and meant for someone that knows what they're doing. Good luck

do the little things

don't worrie about the tranny .....

jack the car up...exhaust has to come off ..
from...cats back... don't forget to unplug O2 sensor on passenger side

gas tank has to be dropped .[don't have to take it right out].... enough to get the drive shaft out ...floor jack with a piece of plywood [little smaller that the bottom of the gas tank]..under the tank ...undo the 4 bolts holding the straps and lower the tank
on the jack ..squeeze the drive shalf out ...after undoing it @ the diff. ....the bolts look funny ...but a 12 mm box end wrench works fine ..then jack ...tank back up ..putting bolts in loose ..just get it out of the way ..till drive shaft has to go back in... you'll have to undo the saftey loop that holds the drive shaft... if it ever breaks ..to get enough room [swing] to get the drive shaft out

you get that done and the tranny won't take to long ... you may even get to eat some turkey ...dave

Last edited:
It isnt really that simple but thanks for the info of how to do it. I was talking to a friend who has a tt 96 supra and he just rebuilt his manual tranny and is totally down to help me out. And when i mentioned money he was all into it. I think he could help me a great deal, even though he doent know auto. It cant be that difficult. Its when it gets to the tv cable and stuff that i dont know or understand. Hopefully he can help me and even save me some money, and i can hook him up cool. Maybe that could go towards that paint job i need really bad. THanks for your help. If i have any trouble i will be sure to ask b/c you guys always come up wiith an answer! Thanks. Zach

Drop the differential down and slide the driveshaft over the diff enough to remove the diff from the tranny. This way you don't have to drop the tank.

Back