Super Charger oil cooler?

Doug Franklin

Has anyone made an oil cooler system for the Super Charger? Not sure if I will need one once I cool the air better, but I am beginning to believe it was the reason for the hickup losses in power toward the end of the last session on a road race track. Sounded like a bearing gone bad but stoped the noise after cool down lap. First figured it was the AOD as one other Ford belched ATF that day. This was on a pure stock SC that I drove hard that day. I believe I know the answer, just cool the air, but... Any thoughts?

Loss in power I figure was either slipping AOD or the SC trying to lock up and belt slipped momentarilly. Heck of a noise last 2-3 laps but I kept pushing.

you keep pushing that stock SC like that and you can say good bye to ur AOD tranny and to your HG's... If i were you. I would install a TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER. Yeilds better results and protects your transmission from over heating. As for the supercharger. I doubt it you are gonna get that to work. What you can do. Is replace the oil in there. Maybe you need to rebuild it. You probably damaged the bearings anyway. Pick up some new bearings and rebuild it. Replace the oil in the SuperCharger. See if it will help.

You might wanna replace the oil in the AOD also. and dont forget about the filter also.

It's an interesting idea. But how to make it work would be a good question.

I guess you could likely retrofit a system designed for cooling manual transmissions, or differentials. You would need some sort of pump, to transfer the fluid through the heat exchanger.

seems like a lot of effort to do this as you have to consider the pressure that may be present as well, so you don't want it to be able to force all of the fluid out. Maybe start with getting a temp sensor hooked up and figure out if the temp is truely a problem for the lube that is used.

I usually use a 5spd but wanted to try an pure stock AOD for kicks. I pushed it harder than someone new to it but wanted to see if inviting guests down here would hurt a stock car so it wouldn't get home. It did everything fine. Car has 210k miles on it. I agree it needs a cooler, as well as rear end, and some better SC cooling. May need SC rebuild. Radiator on this car kept engine cold. But need open pipes or I will blow HG I am sure.

Starting with tbird88 manifolds and down tubes. Will eleminate cats, resinator and mufflers.

I figured I need to find a rear end cooler set up. I know someone has a SHO with an SC on it and the SC oiled cooled, so I heard. Good idea maybe to get a sensor but if it has already been measured at over 400F WOT then there it is. Your on the gas most of the time on a track like this. So cooling the IC air better will do wonders. Got the fan so need to use it.

Guess I will search for rear end method.

Back