Upshift Light

Wings Dirty

I was jumping on the local freeway today, and while in 2nd gear at about 4000 RPM, I heard a beep and noticed the Upshit light come on for about 2 seconds. I let off the gas a little, and the light & beep quit.

The car is a 90 Auto, and that makes me wonder.

Any ideas of why the upshift light came on?

Perhaps a warning that the Crank Sensor is on its last leg?

The car does buckle a bit at highway speeds, and sometimes through the city. I have replaced the filter, and CamShaft Position sensors, and it's going in for a tune-up next thursday. At that same time, I will have the mechanic replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

I have ordered a new fuel pump from Bill Evanoff, so if the tune-up and Crankshaft Position Sensor replacements don't help, the fuel tank comes off, and the new pump goes in.

Should I get the harmonic Balancer replaced since the mechanic is already down there?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's normal (the light that is)... It usually comes on in 3rd on the autos telling you it's time to let off the gas to shift into OD.

yeah... its the computer telling u to shift... mines did that against an INTEGRA. although i didnt realize the light... it saved my gear though. good to know the CPU is looking out for u...

I've never seen my upshift light come on other then when I first turn the key on. What RPM does it come on at? I have have mine spinning to 5 grand :eek: and no lght came on. I've got a stock 93'. Maybe my computer is just a prick and wants to see the motor go to pieces. What do you think? :)

Last edited:
There isn't a set point that it comes on, but like was said earlier with an AOD it will usually come on along with the annoying chime around 4500 rpm in third under wide open throttle.

It's a warning that the engine is getting hot (even if your temp gauge says otherwise) and you need to let off the throttle or upshift to reduce rpms. If ignored, after about 20 seconds the EEC will cut fuel.

David

the man is right... it will cut off the fuel... as they told me before... it turns off 3 injectors... makes ur engine bog down to a safe RPM...

its either a bog down... or u blow ur gear... take ur pick...

think of it as a shift light..... ;)

to my understanding, one of the reasons it came on, was because the AOD had a longer driveshaft than the M5R2. it kept the driveshaft from the AOD from wobbling too much? something like that...i know the 5speeds have the upshift light too, mine comes on somewhere around 5k rpm in 2nd.

correct me if im wrong.

stephen

Early model SC's

Early models (89-93) especially the auto's are sensitive to temperture of oil and cooant. The sensor in the oil pan, tells the computer that the oil is getting hot and coolant temps are rising, so the upshift light and chime comes on. Meant to save the engine in the event that someone decided to drive in regular drive than overdrive. It tells you to shift. Has nothing to do with driveshaft wobble.

Just a safety (HEY, LET OFF THE GAS) LIGHT!!!!!

Don

Back