Harmonic Balancer Fixed...still not running right

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Well it seems as though my car is wanting to be added to the junk yard list of SC's for it seems as no matter what I do it runs like crap.

Here is the story...

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31050

Anyone remember this? Well the balancer was in bad shape...the removal tool required my hand turning it to have it fall off...like a half inch of the bolt was left in the crank and it was just in bad shape. I thought it was the problem. Anyways the car ran before I pulled the balancer...actually ran for 1 hour before hand then we tore it down, put it back together with the BHJ and ASP underdrives..started it up and it ran. On the test drive it acted as though it didn't know where the throttle was at when given WOT, but under mild acceloration it was fine. Pulled back into the shop, shut it off to pick up the remander of the tools and then got in it to leave...she sputtered and missed (like before) and she wouldn't turn over.

My brother n law (my mechanic) and also a family friend who races dirt track seemed to think its the timing. Or the computer since that controls the timing.

I just need some help, I've sunk dollar after dollar into this car..so much that I might as well keep going...and it still won't run.

Thanks again for the help.

-Tim

So did you install a new crank sensor with the new balancer? The other thread indicated that a bad balancer wobbling will take out the sensor,

I think you put a new sensor on, but the balancer took it out again. Did you replace that sensor with a new one when you put the BHJ on?

Did you adjust the distance between the new sensor and the ring that
bolts to the back of the dampener.The clearance between the sensor
is the thickness of a paper match book cover.on both sides of the vane
on the ring.

randy

update

Car was picked up today and I started it up and it ran for 25 min pretty much on its own. Whenever I get full throttle, car would stall out and acted like it didn't know where it was... sorta like TPS was bad. If I didnt give it WOT it would run flawlessly on its own. Since I havent had my car for months bc of this problem I said the hell with it and figured I would take it for a spin. I drove down the road and back really gettin on it, I made it up to 110 and the car had plenty more to give and didnt seem to have a problem, so I was dumbfounded. Pulled back in the driveway after my joy ride turned it off went in the house and then came back 20 min later started it up and it started fine and went for another run, but this time I went a little bit farther. Made it to my destination and turned around to come back home and it was handling everything I gave it no problem and after turning around I went to give it all it had again and then it started to stumble again, so I let off the throttle and as long as I gave it gentle throttle it was fine. However this time when it started to idle rough the check engine light came on. Had to go to work after all that and I havent had any other time to deal with it... maybe this will give you something to go on.

As for the sensor it was never removed when the new balancer was put on and it was never run long enough with the bad balancer to cause any damage. However if there is more info on the exact positioning that it needs to be in will someone please let me know.

Thanks for your advice
-Tim

Well after this post was made (had my best friend post it while I was at work...she's the best) I came home and figured, lets see what she will do now. Jumped in, fired it up and let it idel for 10 minutes or so and off I went. Again I traveled the same distance as the second run...approx a mile or two and also hot doggin it too. Same results as the second run... she was faster than ever...I guess with the addition of ASP underdrives and a 10% SC OD, I have power I've never experienced before! Anyhow, made it to my turn around point and I give it WOT...I'm at about 80 and without a sign she cuts out completly... :eek:

Thank God I had up speed so that she would coast about 1/4 mile from my house before I had to start pushing...which I thought would be the death of me, for GOOD LORD its one HEAVY machine!

However I think I have a revalation! After she completly died on me, when ever I tried to start it afterwards the shift up light appeared once again?!?! So Crank Sensor, must be bad again like everyone thought...?

Really wish someone lived in my area and knew how to work on an SC cus being the only one in my area and having mechanics that know nothing about them work on it for me, is a PITA!

-Tim

Same here

Hey i had a similar problem and a nice long thread... usually when the car stalls like that it's because the Damper was bad for a long period of time and it finally took out the crank position sensor, the damper would just give the engine a rough ride until it can get to that sensor and take it out... which happened to me and left me stranded where the car wouldnt turn over.

So, when you replaced the damper it was the indirect way for you to replace that sensor. And after that, you should not have a problem for a while, unless you need a DIS or Coil pack or plugs.

But hey i dont need to tell you all that, cuz you were just like me stuck replacing all that stuff:eek:

Yeah, I'm hitting the parts store after school today in hopes of having her running by this weekend. I hope this is the fix (crosses fingers). I just need to have her up and running by Thanksgiving so I can atleast go visit my parents in South Carolina :(

...I guess once I replace that sensor I will still be nervous to drive her though. I mean I've had this car 1 year and driven it maybe 7 months of that time...plates and state inspection are dead now for its been sitting so long...really pisses me off, but lets hope its just a $70 sensor and not nothing major.

-Tim

Back