AOD slippage------Help!

crazydave

Hey All,
I have a weird thing happening lately. If I accellerate at full trottle my transmission has totally slipped and the rpms shoot out of sight. As soon as the rpms come back to about 3k it hooks up to the delight of anyone unfortunate enough to be sitting next to me at a redlight....very embarassing. This has happens 3 or 4 times in the past month. Took it into Cottman tranmissions and they couldn't get it to duplicate the problem; even with power braking it to 3k ; it wouldn't slip. They didn't want to open it up if they weren't sure there was a problem so it's now driving me nuts. Anyone had this problem before?? I have a TransGo shift kit installed for over a year now and the transmission works really well 99.9% of the time. Need someone's help
Thx:confused:

Mike,
Yes, it only happens when I'm stopped and yes, the fluid level was checked and it was full........

Mike,
I had Cottman change the fluid and replaced the filter last week and it hasn't happened since so...that may have something to do with it. The old fluid and filter were only only in for a year so I thought it couldn't be that.

Well if it hasnt happened since you had it changed sounds like its fixed.
Tranny fluid and filters should be changed on a reg basis. Would you not change your engine oil and fiter for over a year?

Mike,
Sounds logical except in 150k it never happened prior. I usually changed the fluid and filter ever 50k and no problems prior so... Just a very strange thing to have happen. If it happens again then, I guess it's a faulty converter?

The tech at Cottman told me that thye have had a high number of these Ford transmissions in for faulty converters. Seemed to reason that if it didn't lock up upon acceleration the converter wasn't working correctly. I guess time will tell.

The converter has nothing to do with this.
Besides that AOD converters do not lock up and even if they did it wouldnt be until you shifted into OD.
The problem you described sounds like a classic case of low fluid level. Once you had the fluid and filter replaced your level was fine, thats probably why it hasnt acted up again.

Back