miss on highway

darren139

im just wondering sc have a very high gear for 5th and it happens usually when rpm is at 1500 in 5th about 55mph. anything under that i need to be in fourth or it seems to buck or miss the car is stock 100% and it never has backfired.it also drives funny with a/c on you can really feel the compressor kick in

You might want to try to stay in a lower gear while going at 55 mph. You may simply be lugging your engine especially if you have done anything to your exhaust. I don't shift into 5th gear until 80+ mph. You will be okay driving in fourth or even third and you will probably notice an increase in your gas mileage. The tall gears in these cars make 5th gear pretty much useless for everyday driving. Hope that clears something up for you.

Brandon

1994 5-speed

Miss in SC

I had an 89 SC 5 Speed until Sept, and currently have a 92 and 94 SC 5 Speeds. I have never had a problem running 55 or higher in 5th. Unless my spark plugs or wires were shot. Try a new set of plugs and/or wires. What is mileage on car?

Darren139 about your compressor; it is probably due to worn out motor mounts. When the unit engauges, a large load is put on the engine. If the motor mounts are allowing travel, you can really feel the torque inside the cabin. After replacing mine with units from MN12Performance, I can hardly feel the unit at all now.

Check for excessive shifter movement when revving, motor movement, low oil pan near or touching crossmember on the front side, oil filter touching or nearly touching crossmember, ect.

If you are not aware, the stock units are hydralic factory filled and commonly give way to our torque around 50k.

Hope that helps...

Back