Does this sound like belt slip to you [mp3 file]

DMX

A couple of runs from 0-5000rpm. 7" Crank pulley going **directly** to a 2.75" blower pulley (2.54 drive ratio).
I've been running a 6 rib belt but soon i'll have the 8 rib conversion done.

900K Mp3 >> http://ruffryde.rapperdmx.com/streetrun-11-5-03.mp3

What does it sound like to you? I swear it sounds like the blower whine levels off.

when the belts slip... it sounds like a screeching noise. my belt was slipping around the alternator puller and it sounded like a chirp... schreeching faint sound..

urs sounds like something is on its last breath...

I'm sure he means that something under the hood is worn out and ready to go. I would guess the supercharger bearings or ???

Good Luck

I guess so???

The whine sounds normal to me..except for the leveling off part which i'm almost certain is caused by slippage.

It doesn't sound like the belt is slipping to me, but I can hear the power fall off. Could be knock sensor, lack of fuel or several other things. When a belt slips it will usually reach a certian rpm and then quit gaining power, not fall off like your does.

If the belt is slipping you should be able to see black dust around the snout. The belts don't always squeal.

David

I should clarify that the dropoff heard about 12 seconds in (and a couple of times on the subsequent runs) is the god awful slow shifting from auto tranny that needs to be rebuilt.

I dont believe there is a a knock sensor in the taurus 3.8, i thought it was only in the supercoupe blocks.
I do have some belt dust around the snout, and under the hood above the blower pulley.

I've fought belt slip for a long time (6 rib for over a year) and i'm just wondering how close i have come to solving it.

I started like this and soon learned just how insufficient that grip was

project-new-pulley6.jpg

Its now something like this
project-scrr-belt-wrap1.jpg

I'm just hoping that i'm at least close on the 6 rib, so that when I convert to 8 rib before the next week slippage will be history.

Last edited:
Whoa, that FWD shifts long and slooow. I don't like how close your belts are. How did you get the tensioner mounted? Is it possible that the belt is contacting itself on the other side?

I would like to see your car, is it well modded, what year? Wish my 94 Taurus college cruiser was that powerful in its days.

yeah tell me about it, that slow *** shifting drives me mad sometimes i swear ! :)

The engine is just midly modded, it has the rpm 216/225 cam with 110LCA, a forged supercoupe crank, the early m90 and a buick GN intercooler.

I'm still using the stock tensioner (ribbed) that came with the car, its now shown in the pics, those are two Idler pulleys that help guide the belt and help it wrap better.

The belt isnt that close anymore, there is now plenty of room between the pulleys at the closest point.

hmm..

All I hear wrong is the slow shifting. My belt slipped, and I know people say there shoudl be black dust on the snout. There wasn't for me but when I reached about 4k, it woudl slip and make a god awful screeching noise. I hear nothing of the sort with your car.

DMX....

Be nice to that tranny cuz that rascals days are numbered...Anyway IMO that is where you are losing alot of pwr....Sounds like it is slipping BAD...Smokin' them clutches up...

Nice job gettin that thing SC'd...

Brad

a bearing huh? Well I was planning for evacuate and replace the SC fluid when I put a new seal in this week, we'll see how that goes.

Have you used a stethiscope to isolate the noise yet?
Verify or dismiss a suspected worn bearing and save alot of time.

When you change the oil, drain it into a wide mouth container so you can go fishing for bits of metal with a clean maginet.

The idlers are another source of noise, the funny thing is that when you spin the idler by hand it may feel and sound good.
I had that happen to mine, I checked the idlers with a stethicope and two of them made heavy gringing noises. When I took them off they seemed fine, I replaced them and it quieted down again.

Good Luck, :)

Back