SC vs oak tree: a tale of woe

lessonintorque

Well tonight it rained in orlando and while driving I found out the dangers of too much torque and not enough brake accumulator. I was driving and was making a left turn when a small dog darted out in front of me I hit the brakes but they didnt respond like they should, i turned the wheel and hit the gas to try to miss the F'ing MUTT and my a$$ end went around the other direction with absolutely NO traction and minimal braking I slid up over the curb and nailed an oak head on!!! My SC's bumper and hood are toast (thanks for that hood rich I still got it) But the front of my subframe is a little bent not much just a little. My fenders, lights, etc are still in tact! Yeah thats right!!! head on into a tree at around 30mph and my lights still worked and I drove 3 miles home with out a problem!! I love american steel!! So im gonna try to fix it on my own, im not gettin insurance involved cuz im gonna try and get a new car next month and I dont want to screw up my rate but hey praise to ford for a rigid strong as hell frame, People die at that speedin hondas but I just threw it in reverse and drove home. bad night over all but hey It could have been worse, it could have destroyed my new crate engine,(it didnt even bust my radiator!!!!!!) but it just toasted a bumper and I walked away unhurt, thank god and ford.:)

Glad you weren't hurt.

That's definitely one reason I like my SC - it's solid. When that Camry tried to pass me when I was making a left turn, he pushed in my door skin, but his bumper, lights and fender all got mashed by my steel beam bad enough to need replacing. I finally got the door replaced this weekend (thanks Erich & Allen) and got reminded again just how heavy that sucker really is! ;)

Lee

You got lucky.

Your Header panel might be cracked if the bumper is damaged. I've seen them in the salvage yards where the header panel doesn't shatter, but just cracks in the center. This can cause some issues with the lights being positioned properly. But you can usually wire it together.

Mike,

Sorry to here about your car, did you have repainted yet? Last I heard you were getting ready for paint. Sounds like it won’t be to bad to repair, good idea to do it yourself.
Mike just bought some F1 Goodyear’s for his and man do those things grab, dry or wet. Good tire for the SC’s.
Good luck,
Flip

Do u think u could post a pic? My parents are kinda nervous about me driving the SC when i get my license (Just over a month now) and i wanna try and explain that its quite the boat. If u could post some pics that would be awesome.

Here is a pic of mine. Hit a deer trying to cross in front of me as I was going down the highway at 65 MPH. Hit the front half of the dear and threw it back into the ditch after it beat the heck out of the front of my car.

Click to see full size

I drove it to the body shop the next morning. They figured $4k to fix it. Insurance company totaled it. I replaced the hood, fender, header panel and lights for about $800 and used the rest of the insurance money to make a down payment on the house.

Back