Loose shifter

35th T-bird SC

How can you fix the loose hand shifter on the 5-speed. It is loose while in gear and shakes when driving down the road. Is it just bushings in there that are worn?. Anyone have a source of supply and instruction on how to do this. I have a 1990.
Thnx

Well, I'll tell you that you need to take the center console plastic cover off first and see if the two bolts between the shifter and the shift lever from the transmission are loose (mine were). I thought I was going to need the rebuild kit. If your bolts are not loose, then I've heard there are two solutions to fix a loose shifter:
1) Go to ford for a rebuild kit (around 50 bucks).
2) Go buy a B&M shifter kit (almost 200 bucks).

My suggestion would be to buy a B&M Ripper Shifter and junk the crapy stock shifter. I had the same problem with mine, the seals and all the bushings were torn apart so that the shifter could move around alot. The B&M made a world of difference. Go with the B&M!

Shane

B&M

It was more like $169 at Summit. I just bought one and put it in 2 weeks ago. Also, it's no longer called the "Ripper". It's now called the "Short Throw Sport Shifter". Must be a PC issue or something...

Last edited:
Tbird driver, do you have the procedure for this. Your link on the old thread does;t work anymore. Do you have a ford part number so I can guide the parts guy in the right direction

That link had a great how to rebuild your shifter write-up.
What happened to it? Unfortunately I do not have a copy.
Does anyone else have a copy saved that they can post here?

However, here are the part numbers for what you need to rebuild it. The most expensive item is the boot (around $30.00).

2 plastic sockets old Ford #F5TZ-7228-A,
new # 1L2Z-7228-AA
2 wave springs old Ford #E8TZ-7Z120-A (3 prongs)
new Ford #1L2Z-7Z120-AA
4 washers E8TZ-7E018-A (1 pack of 4)
1 Boot E9SZ-7277-A

Back