Using Electrical Devices Makes My Car Stall. HELP!

Mike Combs

My last thread gave me some good ideas, but I haven't yet found the problem. It has gotten worse and it is almost undrivable now.

You can start it and it will run smoothly, but as soon as you turn on electrical devices it trys to stall. (Mainly brakes, heater, and lights). As soon as you turn off the electrical device it goes right back into a smooth idle.

This makes it hard to drive because everytime I hit the brakes the car tries to die. On the other hand, the starter turns the engine very quickly.

I am going to try the following fixes in order:
1. battery
2. ignition switch
3. locate a shorting in the Accessory (A2, #687) curcuit
4. battery cables

Please give me more ideas or help me focus on the ones I already have.

Someone had the idea of tightening the ground on the round relay box under the hood, but my non-SC doesn't have that box.

Bigger cars need bigger alternators.

There is a sc specific alternator same for the HO v8s. A volt meter should read around 12 with the motor not running and should jump up 2 when you start the car this is a good sign that the alternator is working. mine reads 12.6 before start then 14.6 with motor running. You should be able to disconnect the pos connection on the battery and the motor should keep running with enough sustained power from the alternator. The battery is only used for starting.

Do you have a stero with amps this can rob the engine and accessorys of power.

Use a 1000amp battery.

My battery cables were blue under the plastic from acid build up this was causing a bad connection. I was having starter problems. I changed out the cables and problem went away . GOOD LUCK.

I found the problem.

I bought a crappy Mototech 58-460 battery last year and the problem started only 6 months after buying the battery.
After replacing the battery the problem was eliminated.

This is a perfect example of why to buy quality parts.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my postings!

Back