Towing Question

Nettlesd

I would like your opinions on whether or not a particular vehicle will tow an open trailer and SC. The vehicle is question is a 2000 Explorer Limited, 5.0L V8, AWD, factory tow hitch and 3.73 differential. Now, I've read that the Explorer is not recommended for towing a trailer and car because of the short wheelbase. I picked this car because of the V8 and towing package but I'm starting to second guess myself. I was trying to find a nice SUV for the family but also something that would tow the SC if I wanted too. I do know that a Lincoln Navigator or Expedition will work but I don't think I can get the family to approve of the size. The vehicle in question may serve as a daily driver at some point so I'm trying to please everyone.

Other options:
2002 Explorer
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
2002 Chevy TrailBlazer

Duane,

I've got pretty much the same thing (2000 Explorer XLT w/5.0 AWD 3.73 gears and towing package) and don't think it's large enough to handle something as heavy as an SC. It may be okay for flat ground like KC to STL, but I wouldn't want to try climbing any hills with it.

For the same reasons I'm trading mine in this spring on a new F-150 4X4 with the triton v8 and towing package.

David

David:
When I was buying my Navigator, I searched the web for info
on the engine. I found a number of posts, complaints, etc. relating to the Triton V8. Specifically a problem with the number three cylinder blowing spark plugs. (I don't mean melting them, I mean physically ejecting them out of the head). This was for the '98 '99 model years. Seems it was/is a design problem with not having enough threads for the #3 plug.
Hopefully Ford has corrected this problem by now.
This factored into my decision to get a Navigator with the Intec 32V engine.
Just something to check into.

Also, on towing. I used to tow my 5,500 lb. boat behind my '91 explorer. (4.0 liter V6 with tow package, longest tow I did was 14 hours one way). I would think you shouldn't have any problem towing with a V8 and by properly distributing the weight on the trailer.
What type of trailer.
Dual axle I assume with surge or electric brakes?

5.0 V8

OUt of the all the xploders, Limited is the best for the job. 1. leveling system. 2. v8, alittle under powered. Do not tow in overdrive.

I don't plan on buying a trailer but I thought I would just rent one from U-Hall when I wanted to tow the SC.

Wow, tow with overdrive off. That will kill the gas mileage for sure. This thing only gets about 16 mpg on the highway at it is.

It's hard to find something that meets everyone's likes and needs.

Would you use it to tow your SC? If so, would you tow the SC from KC to Ohio if a National meet was there? I'm looking for opinions before I saw yes to the Explorer. I have to either tell them yes or no by next Saturday.

Two birds with one stone...

Sorry, I just had to,
I for one would go with a diesel in the larger suv. Dave saw what my F350 and box trailer did, and still gets better miles per gal. than you say you are getting without towing. Spend the extra $$ and get a diesel and in the long run you will thank me... One of my friends [yes I do have at least one or two] just got the lincoln suv with the power stroke and is loving every minute of it.
They cost more to start, but they start paying you back the first time you need to fill the tank. Most places diesel is the same and most of the time LESS than reg. gas. So as you can see, the payback is right now....Good luck and remember, you can always add more weight to what you are pulling, but it is really hard to get rid of weight so you can pull with what you got......This is one place where BIGGER is BETTER......Rich

Duane,

I have to agree with Rich on this one (did I say that out loud? :) ). If you are planning on towing semi-regularly, I'd get a diesel. I got my F-250 diesel in June and have been loving it. I've only towed once so far (with a U-haul trailer) and didn't have any problems. I normally get around 17 mpg and would get a lot better if I could keep it around 70 mph. And when gas prices were jumping all around this summer, I was paying a constant $1.35 (when regular got as high as $1.65). You do have to get used to turning off the engine when ordering in the drive through. If you only plan towing once or twice a year, a gas engine will probably be fine.

Just remember, you need to get something that's rated to tow at least 6000 lbs.

Last edited:
My Explorer is a company car and whatever I replace it with needs to fall into about the same price range (about $30K). Since I'm the person who set the spending limits on company cars, it wouldn't look very good if I bought a more expensive truck than everyone else.

We buy mostly Fords because the local dealer gives us good service and very good prices. Besides that I think the new 4x4 extended cab F-150s look better than the other trucks. Three of our sales reps drive then now and haven't had any problems.

The triton engine thing is a little unsettling, but like I said it's a company car, so I don't really care. So long as it doesn't break when I'm trailering my car.

David

Just look at the diesels... Dave

You can get them in most everything now days, so look to see what you can get... One thing to keep in mind, they hold their price, so when you go to up date it in a few years, you will get more back..less to run,, and one more thing...If it is a company car, the govt. wants to see cars and trucks that are "other than gas" in fleets. They want my fleet to be 25% "other" so that is why I got a bunch of these power stroke's
Dave, just take a look and maybe even a weekend test drive and you will have a diesel in your yard..Heck, a nice F250 super cab would look good, and with that room behind the seat, you will have lots of room for good stuff, like coolers, folding chairs,fire wood,ect... Rich

Used to have a '99 Eddie Bauer Edition Exploder.. It had the towing package and the V6.. I used to tow my 25ft 6500lb boat and trailer with it around 75 miles one way.. You can tow with it.. trust me :D

It's a pretty big jump from an Exploder to a Powerstroke Diesel, but nonetheless, I can attest to what these guys are saying. I have towed SC's all over the place on all kinds of roads with all sorts of trailers. It actually makes a big difference what trailer you are towing. Uhaul trailers (especially the aluminum ones) are pretty light and tow nicely with their fully automatic surge brakes. Towing this behind a 1/2 ron truck is pretty smooth. With a gas engine expect about 12mpg when towing, and you won't have much power to spare. If you happen to try to tow one of those heavy all steel deck trailers with tool box and full fenders, well the car/trailer starts pushing you around. Not exactly relaxing on a long trip. Not to mention that on serious hills you can be down to 35mph.

Now with a diesel, 1) you can't really feel the car back there. 2) depending on how fast you drive you can get up to 17mpg. 3) can we say driving the speed limit at all times? I will repeat myself here. With a diesel you can put the thing on cruise and drive like you normally would with your SC behind you. Plenty of brakes, stability, power, and so on. Its the difference between enjoying the trip and surviving the trip. One long trip with the SC behind an Exploder and you will start thinking that driving the SC isn't so bad an idea after all.

There is absolutely NO comparison between towing with a regular pickup and towing with a diesel. It's not only the power, it's also the weight of the truck. The diesel weighs a lot more and so it is not affected by whatever you are towing as much.

But in your case since you won't be towing that much, it is kinda harder to justify such a big vehicle. Keep in mind that Uhaul will not knowingly rent you a trailer to tow such a big car behind an Exploder. You might want to give them a call and ask about towing a car hauler behind it. (make sure you say you are towing a Civic) Because they can be rather anal about exceeding the tow capacity of the vehicle.

When researching this it would be good to look into people that pull RV trailers. Smaller ones get into the weight range equivalent to pulling a SC.

While a diesel would be ideal, really anything in a 3/4 ton and up is going to seem like the perfect tool when compared to those 1/2 tun and under vehicles.

The key is to look at the GVW limits for the vehicle you have. The closer you are to the MAX, the faster you're going to wear out that vehicle, and the less room you have for error in a critical situation.

I found this guide:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2000/BBCAMPER.PDF
Which is the 2000 Camper/Towing guide.
That engine with those gears has a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of 11,000lbs.
Due to the 4x4 it is limited to 6620lbs in trailer weight (200lbs less than the 2wd model).

The GCWR means that the vehicle, trailer, stuff on the trailer, fuel, and people in the vehicle can not exceed 11,000lbs.

On the left door lock there should be a safety certification label that specifies the Gross Vehicle Weight rating. The GVWR is the number the brake system on the vehicle is certified to support. It is not certified to support the GCWR number.

You should probably read through that document as it says 5 speeds should not use overdrive, but those with Electronicly Controled transmissions should use overdrive.

a 5.0 explorer will have enough engine power to tow your car, but what would worry me is the handling with the short wheelbase and relatively soft suspension of the explorer. The SC on a trailer will try to push it, so be careful on curvy roads, or even straight roads for that matter cuz it will tend to start fishtailing on you. I have a full size Bronco, and while i've never towed my SC, i do tow my 22 ft boat with it, and with the Bronco's short wheelbase you have to be careful.....when i tow the same boat with my 3/4 pickup I don't even know it's back there..... Oh and yes, DEFINITELY , do NOT tow in overdrive....first of all gas mileage would likely be worse because you'll lug the engine, and the price of rebuilding that transmission in addition to the tow bill is quite a bit more than whatever extra gas you might use.......

I don't know the specs of the current Lightning, but the early ones only had a payload capacity of 500 lbs. I seriously doubt they have a towing capacity of over 5000 lbs. But I could be wrong.

Sure the Lightning will tow it easily. Its capacity (classIII receiver) is 5,000lbs, so if its on the right trailer, it will be fine, and payload on the new ones is 800. 93-95s was 745 and 5,000 trailer weight.

I stand corrected, but I still say that's cutting it close for a 4000 lb car.

I think the 500 lb capacity I stated was for the Typhoon, sorry :rolleyes: I've got too many useless facts floating around in my head.

Uhaul won't rent you a car dolly to tow a rear wheel drive car either, or at least they wouldn't let me. You have to rent a full trailer. Am I being a master of the obvious again?:D

Back