Magnaflows, Flowmaster, what?

Wings Dirty

Anyone have any experiences with them? The SC is in the shop getting its cats gutted, 3" single, then 2.25" where the exhaust splits off again in the rear. We're removing the resonator while we're at it.

I will be getting new mufflers, and don't know what to go with. I can go with Magnaflows or Flowmaster. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard one SC w/ exhaust and it was owned by one of my friends. It was an 89 w/ the resonator removed, no change to the cats, and 2.5'' piping ran from the flowmaster(40 series delta) out the back. It actually did not sound that good at all and it was on the quiet side. I'm sure the regular 40 series would sound better or another series of flowmaster if you choose to go w/ a flow...I've had good luck w/ a 30series on a V6(not a T-bird..) and the car it's on sounds just like a mustang w/ aftermarket exhaust. The 30 is a great deal deeper than the 40's, and more expensive(was a little over $100 for one muffler when I got mine about a year and a half ago). From what I've heard, magnaflows give a low rumble on most V6's and create a "tuned" sort of exhaust note. Good luck with the exhaust and post a clip when it is done if you have the means to do so:cool: :D

I would recommend using the magnaflow resonator in the mid section and then a couple mufflers of choice out back
Ive run mine with no cats no res. and 2 flowmasters its much too loud for street use---also they sound very raspy with no resonator
btw-the best souding setup ive had thus far has been no cats magnaflow res. and 2 delta series flowmasters
g/l Josh

If your going for sound diffenately put on a res or you will think you're driving a honda. However if you want a quicker exit, less restrictions such as a res will improve just that. So...you can go with sound or quickness of exit of fumes.

I personally have the magnaflow res, along with dynomax super turbos and its suttle at idle (sounds nice but not to overly loud) and very nice when at WOT. Cabin noise is louder than stock (go figure) but I don't find it to be to much of a problem.

-Tim

Thank you for your input gentlemen.

I will go with a Magnaflow resonator and 2 Magnaflow mufflers. I really DO NOT want to sound like a high strung rubberband Honda. I am looking for fast exhaust exit, but I dont want to buzz the 'hood, as it were.

Once again, thanks. I will have the old man at the shop order the parts tonight.

Ok, Mufflers and resonator have been ordered. Right now, the car sounds like a Ricer Honda :(

She'll sound much better next week when the new paerts come in, and we can go to full 3" and 2.25" after the differential.

I am Embarassed to drive the damend thing now till then. Time to start up the F-150 :|

Once again, thanks for your input.

hey let us know ur outcome with the -all magnaflow setup
I m thinking of adding two small magna flows muffs to my next setup
\
thanks Josh

What does the resonator do? I just bought my T-bird and there is no resonator, just straight pipe through the midsection, looks like a 3" to 2 1/4" pipe coupling their instead. The mufflers and cats look stock.

I personally prefer the Magnaflows over anything else on SC's. On my 90 I have no resonator and 2 Magnaflow SS Mufflers. The car sounds really good. It is noticeably louder but in a good way. It sounds almost like a V-8 at idle but under throttle it sounds like a F1 car.

My 95 has no resonator and 2 Magnaflow SS Mufflers. It is much quieter than the 90 because it has the 3rd cat but it sounds really nice.

I think that as long as you have the cats you can run the car without a resonator with Magnaflows. However, if the cats are gone a resonator is a must or you will become a ricer!

Back