Stock JBL Amp Questions

Dale Puumala

This is on my newly purchased '89. I don't know what all years are the same for the JBL stuff.

Background: I bought the car and it had the sub in the trunk, but no amp. All of the wire harness were cut off in the trunk except for the sub power harness. The two wires coming out of the stock sub enclosure are also cut.

I now have an amp, and it has two connectors on it plus the power connector. One is the smaller one that comes from the dash. The other is the larger one that goes to the speakers.

So my question is, where does the sub get its signal from? Is it from this amp or from some other source? Remember, all I currently have coming from the sub is 2 chopped wires.

Thanks,
Dale

You should have 2 amps. One that drives the front and rear speakers and one for the sub. The sub anp is black and is mounted under the sub box. I have a sub amp if you need one. It sounds like someone has cut your wire harnes for the sub amp though. and you would need to find either the harness or the connectors for it.

Yeah, that looks like my problem. I have the speaker amp, but not the sub amp.

How much do you want for the sub amp?

Thanks,
Dale

Be careful when wiring this up. It's easy to get crossed.

The wiring for the sub is as follows:

From the front of the car on the passenger side you should have a grey plug with a Yellow and Red wire - about 12 gauge. The Yellow is the 12V + hot lead and is on all the time. the Red is the Ground - that's right - ground. Most people think the red is 12V ignition. In my EVTM manual the Red wire shows hooked up to the ground wires. This shouldn't be so much of a problem as the connector on the end of these wires hooks to the sub amp and is only a one way connector. The other plug on that side is the set that connects to the "+" and "-" leads of the sub itself - the
"audio out" to the sub. Once you know which wire is which on the sub you can connect them accordingly.

On the other side of the sub amp there is a connector for a plug coming from the amp mounted on the self under the rear deck. This plug has three wires attached to it - the " audio in" signal to the sub amp. These carry the sound signal from the main amp to the sub amp. The EVTM shows the three wires but does not list their color or what they carry. Only shows the path from the main amp to the sub amp.

Make sure the amp you have on the rear deck is the JBL amp and not the premium amp. The premium system did not have a sub and will not have the three wire plug out to the sub.

Good Luck.

Mark
'93 SC

Back