i need to stop working on my car

SC8990

I need help bad. Ok I took the dash out of my 89', made a note of every wire and bolt and where they go. I put it back in and put it all back together except the trim, and the damn thing wont start. All the lights work, the buzzers, seat belts, dash lights, VMM, ect.

Now the dash came from a 90' auto and went in a 89' 5-speed but it looked like every wire was exactly the same, and it all hooked up without a problem. The only thing out of the ordinary was that a piece fell off of the steering column. It was the connector that goes into the metal piece that is bolted on right behind the ignition switch, not sure what it is. Anyway I put it back together the only way it would fit....has got to be the right way.

EVERYTHING works except it wont even attempt to start. Any ideas?

I found the part that fell apart in my shop manual, it is called the steering column lock pawl.

Doesn't sound like something that could cause a no start problem. I've got 2 hours to get this car running before I'm screwed, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Wow I know how you feel . IT is eaiser to buy a new then fix a old.

Try to hang in there and keep going. Since my motor swap I have had to change a fuel pump 3 times and the tranny fluid twice cause of leaks. I am not a MECH that is for sure . I seem to cause more problems that there was before But I am learning to get things right even if I have to do it over and over again. gets so discouraging. I just want it gone somtimes but nobody will take it for a fair price. Step back take a break from it . check out some manuels and hit the boards. GOOD LUCK>

Could be lots of different problem. I don't have any dash experience so some else can take it from here.

When you say it don't try to start what do you mean? The starter won't spin or the engine won't fire?

I just pulled the dash out a couple inches, checked all connections for the 3rd time, everything is right where it should be. When I try to start it it's almost like the battery is dead, but yet there is plenty of power, no starter. I know the starter isn't bad because it worked without a problem before I removed the dash, and battery is new with less than 500 miles on it.

Ok I did think of something, and noticed something unusual. The car the dash was from did not have a alarm, the one it went into does have a alarm. Now the alarm is factory and I do remember that I couldn't start the car when it was armed. I noticed the alarm light is flashing at all times, even with doors unlocked and key out of the ignition, it used to only flash when armed.

Could this be the problem?

For the alarm, check the fuse box. It has it's own fuse. Also make sure the junction boxes are screwed in tight. I think they are an 8-mm or 10-mm socket.

Also the EEC wiring harness maybe different between the years. Meaning different pin locations. But if you did not swap the EEC harness, don't worry about this last part.

Last edited:
Yeah I figured out what happens when you don't screw stuff in tight on my own, alot of the stuff didn't work until I tightened the junction box or whatever it is. I check the wires before I put it in, compared with other dash, it had the same amount and same colors in every connector. I'm just not sure what's wrong and it really sucks cause I can't leave my home until I fix it, and have work tommorrow. I'm leaning towards the alarm though, tempted to disconnect it just to see if that's it....but don't know how.

Is there a easy way to disconnect the alarm?

I just checked every fuse under the dash and in the engine compartment, all were good. I tried to set off alarm and couldn't do it, and when I tried locking the doors while inside the car and turning the ignition on it did the same thing as it does with the alarm unarmed (or at least I think it's unarmed). Somebodys got to know if this is the problem or not...help me out please! :(

There could be differences in the harnesses. I know swapping a few parts from an 89 to my 90 didn't work without some rewiring. The connectors are the same but the wires serve different purposes. You'd almost have to look at schematics to see if that's the problem though.

Back