Wierd 5spd problem? or is this normal??

splitportbird

OK I'm almost finished with my 5spd swap,, I rebuilt the stock shifter to better then new specs and when I tried it on the tranny is feels good in all the gears BUT.. it seems the centering spring is gone in the 1st to 3rd side.. what I mean is when you rock the shifter side to side in nuetral there is a good spring resistance from the middle (3rd,4th) to the right (5th,reveres) but when I rock it to the left torwards (1st,2nd) there is no tension or spring feel? is this normal or a easy fix?

the trans is out and I'd like to know before it goes in.

Thanx,
Brad M

I think you've got the sping in wrong. I've got resistance to the 1-2 side and to the 5-R side and N is in line with 3-4.

What spring are you talking about?? your not talking about the sifter right,, as that would make no sense. the trans itself should have the tension.

Brad M

Internal Spring

Did you move the spring over the hole on the shift rail to the left side as you were putting the shifter back in? It's pretty hard not to but it's just a thought...

Now I'm lost as hell,,, what spring?

Please assume I know nothing as I got this 5spd without a shifter and had to get another shifter to put on it.

Anyway when I bolted the shifter to the trans I didnt have to move any spring??? where should it be? maybe its missing.

Brad M

probably missing... the spring goes over the socket to which the ball of the shifter goes into and puts tension on it.

OK so I guess I'm missing that spring,, is that all that goes in there is just a spring? anyone know where I cans score one?

Thanx,
Brad M

Check out the Diagram I linked to above. You will likely need to source the part from Ford. The numbers are on the diagram.

When I first got my SC the shifter was sloppy with no tension on the 1-2 side.

After I had the tranny rebuilt, the transmission people found the spring somewhere down in the tranny where a plastic gear controls the speedo or RPM.

Never had any slop when they put it back together.

I had the same problem in my 89 when I bought it. When I took the shifter arm out the spring was pushed all the way over to the right. I pushed it to the left and kept the ball of the shifter arm to the right of the spring. Pretty easy fix it my case. Hope this helps.

Joe

Back