starting problem

SC8990

I know I just posted about this but I need to start over. I have come to the conclusion that changing the dashes probably has absolutely nothing to do with the cars problem. I checked every part number I could find and all were the same, including the wiring.

Ok here's the problem. When I try to start it I hear one clicking sound and a humming but can't tell where either are coming from. It does not crank or even try to do anything. Is it normal for the alarm light to flash and all dash lights to be lite up when starting?

I disconnected the alarm, no change. Cleaned battery cables and terminals, no change. Battery and cables have less than 500 miles on them. My shop manual says starter is bad.

Is it possible for the starter to go out the day I change the dash? Just seems too strange to be true. Does anybody know of a way to test to see if the starter is bad without messing with the starter? I have been having a starting problem lately but didn't think much of it. The car would always die on first start then on second start it would goto 1500rpm and stay running, I thought I just needed new spark plugs and wires.

Last edited:
The single click is probably the power distribution solenoid. It's on the driver's fender just behind the battery. The humming is probably the fuel pump.

Easiest way to test the starter is to jumper a wire from the positive battery post to the small post on the top, center of the distribution solenoid. There's a red slide on connector on the post.

If you hit that and have the key ON the car should start. That energizes the solenoid and cranks the starter. If it doesn't crank, jumper the positive to the big post on the solenoid. That puts power straight to the starter motor.

If jumpering the small post works, no power is making it from the ignition switch to that solenoid.

If jumpering the small post doesn't work but jumpering the big post does, the solenoid is bad.

If you don't get anything by jumpering either one the starter is probably at fault.

It does crank when I jump the starter relay so I've narrowed down the problem now. I found a post about disconnecting the alarm, did that and still would not start. So what I think it could be is....

1. Dash is from 90' auto, needs brake to be pressed to start, went into a 89' 5-speed where you need to press clutch to start

2. I didn't disconnect the alarm just thought I did

I'm learning toward #1, anybody know how to bypass that?

Back