ignition breakdown.. Help

spirot

I have a 90 SC AOD, the car is not firing injectors, 3 & 5.
I've replaced the wires, plugs, coil pack, but nothing.
It seems to run fine until hot, then it start to miss badly.
History.
About 2,000km ago, I blew the head gaskets. They were replaced, along with the water pump. Car ran fine til now, when it lost power on the highway. It ran rough, missing no power and would stall if I took my foot of the gas. Than started running smooth again after a new miles. I've replacing the part above, the car ran fine for about 20 minutes, than it started missing and running rough again, that's when we found the 2 injectors not firing.

Could this be computer related ? as the mechanic wants to replace the computer, but, is not sure if this will solve the problem.

Has anyone experience similar problem ?

Thanks
Spiro

:confused:

My experience

I have had the same symptoms you are describing. Highway speeds on warm days the car would intermittantly stumble and seem like it dropped 2 cylinders, of course had no power. If I stopped and shut off the engine when I restarted it would run perfect until the next time it would do it. (maybe 20 miles or 100 miles later). In my case replacing the DIS module cured the problem. Also, if the heat sink compound that is used between the DIS and the mounting bracket has dried up it will not perform it's function of helping dissipate heat out of the DIS, so you might try to freshen up the heat sink compound and see if that helps. Good luck, John

Another thing to check is to make sure your crank pulley does not wobble when the engine is running. If it does the damper is broken and your timing is being screwed up since the crank sensor is not getting a true reading of crank position since the sensor vanes on the damper are not where they are supposed to be.

the car runs fine or seems to run fine until it warms up, than it start to stumble with 2 injectors not receiving electrical pulse.
The problem is intermitting.
Would the computer have anything to do with this ?
Is there a wiring diagram where I can follow a trace ?

Thanks for the help all, I'll look at the cam sensor and pully, and let you know what I find.

Hi Floyd,
You were correct.
The balance was warped and messed up the crank sensor.
This caused the computer to blow. I had the computer repaired.
Now I need a new sensor and balancer.

Thanks for your help.

Does any one have a good used balancer ?
:confused:

"Good Used Balancer???"

There is no such thing as a "good used balancer".... Get a new one. Stock balancers are only good for one install. The aluminum collar/steel sleeve doesn't hold up after it has been removed and re-installed. (believe me, been there, done that) Either get a new stocker, or invest in a BHJ.

Back