Dr, Fred Cam Specs

fastsc92

Does anyone have their cam-card for Dr. Fred's stage 1 cam....his standard cam for the SC? I cant find the specs anywhere and no one has heard from him in a while. I'm going to turn to comp(which he does anyways) and get this re-grind. Any help will be great.

cam specs.

I've got Fred's .520 lift cam. I'm not sure if that's stage 1 or what.
The only thing he would tell me is that it's .520 lift. He said that the duration and lobe seperation etc. were his secret recipe. If I really cared I could have degreed it. I figured he know what he's doing. I've been happy with it so far.

did you get an adjustable timing set....or use your stock set? I'd like to get his cam but i hear that he is long gone.

I have a stock timing set.
I heard that he's not making these anymore.
If he's not and you can't contact Fred, you may try to contact Comp Cams and see if they know. I'm pretty sure that's who does the grind for him.

The cam is capable of better than 12.90s. I've still got a few more bolt ons that I could do to get the car to go faster with this cam. MP inlet, FMIC, etc.

Have you tried to contact Dr. Fred? He seems to be a busy man these days but I don't think that's reason to beg/borrow/steal his cam design without even trying to buy it from him legit.

Dont worry Rob he does'nt know how to copy it or he would'nt be asking. He needs far more info than a cam card provides.;)

be careful

ok to the ones who hate me dont flame me...

if you want a cam dont go with fred, at least for now, he is clearly busy, and i have been waiting for an extreme amount of time, i cant even get a hold of him and we are doing busines and have been, but if you want go with him, if you have time to spare, i have only heard good fromt he cams, but havent seen very much from the business aspect coming form his part. otherwise go with a steig or coy cam, theyare also good.

Hey easy there Mike.....i'm just trying to gather info. I want to pick a good cam, so i'd like to compare what others have to offer thats all. I know i need a lot of info, i'm new with everything thats involved with putting a reground cam rather than a new cam.

Hey...I'm sorry....I geuss I took it wrong.
To me your post sounded like you wanted the Fred specs so you could have one ground. Evidentaly I was wrong....Sorry.

I don't know if mine is a regrind, or a new casting. Mine's by crower, and sounds awesome so far. Hopefully by this time tomorrow, my tranny will be functional, and I can give an opinion about it.

Even if he is looking for the exact specs to have it copied, it still doesn't matter. First of all, there is more to a cam profile than the spec card. There are lots of different ramp profiles and so on. I can't possibly see that it matters too much to Fred either since he isn't even involved with the club anymore. It can't be considered a rip off if the original design is not even available within a reasonable amount of time. The original poster would be more than happy to purchase from Dr. Fred if that were a practical possiblity at the moment. In fact *I* would like to buy a Dr. Fred cam but that doesn't seem to be an option for me either.

Dave..Unfortunately when we get our wonderful REGRINDS.....Who the hell knows what our lobe ramps are..It be nice if just one cam company stepped up and made a real cam for our cars..I see better driveability and more power..But ehhhh

I know Fred's cam specs, but would be casterated if I let them out :eek:

My car was the very first car to have the "stage I" head and camshaft package, which Fred and I assembled back in 2001. The car is putting down a latest of 330.5 rwhp and 402.7 rwtq, with stock valve sizes!

It is a very good camshaft, I will vouch for that.

As for what is up with Fred, I do not know for sure. He has been working a lot, and I mean a lot. He is an "acting director" on a monkey's salary, and puts in 15 hr days, when he's not out of town on business.

I left him a voicemail tonight offering to help ship out the cams if/when he has them in his posession. I will try and help any way I can.

For those who have been patient, it will be worth the wait!

Jeramie

sig.jpg

Last edited:
I might do that but i wont be able to wait. The car has to be done by jan, so i'll only have a month to do it. Any have luck with a coy miller stage one cam on ported heads? I was thinking of going that route also.

I have a Coy Miller stg 1 cam but I havent used it yet so I dont know how well for sure it works, specs out pretty good though.
I havent made my mind up as to if I'm gonna put it in or my custom grind.
I've been so busy with my radiator project I havent had much time for anything else right now.
I'll figure things out by the time I need it.;)

I dont recommend the cmre cams--I and many others have had bad luck\results with those cams
Coy admitted that some of his cams have been off by up to 8-10 degrees--I m not sure the reasoning for this --as I dont have in-depth knowledge of cams and specs and machining etc...
I am currently using the stage 1 cam -I have lousy vac. \terrible low end power\and my rear wheel torque is off by about 100 numbers for the setup I have
fast92 -you saw my dyno run--it wasnt typical SC numbers
just my 2 cents
G/L
Josh

thats right josh i did...but i thought you had a stage two cam...which is only made for the high end stage two heads. I was going to call him and see what he recomends. That stage two cam is for much larger valves. I'm going to be running stock size valves with a full port job. I dunno if i get under a .500 lift if its even worth it. Every talks about the famous .520 lift cam.....but i dont even know where to start in choosing a cam..i thought it would take a little research, but i've been looking at them for a month now.

ok i just called coy miller, he said the stage one cam would be my best bet. He wouldn't give details but said they have a lift very close to .500. He said that it would work fine with stock springs, just requiring his pushrods. Cam cost was 170, and pushrods are 120. Seems expensive but it takes the guesswork out of everything. How much is a normal regrind and pushrods go for???

Back