smoked a turbo ricer

turbospeed

well this guy with a 1996 fwd eclipse , has MSD ignition, cam gears,maf and, apexi intake ,greddy BOV and a HUGE FMIC.
and looks mega hot with a great paint job spoilers etc killer sound system is one of the hottest looking car in town .
and he's know as one of the faster cars in my town ( most people "mod" honda civics accords etc) and he once smoked a tired 5.0 (thats messing with the big boys in the ricers terms)

raced me like 2 months ago with the stock mitsubishi turbo and all the mods above,i smoked him in my sc
(od pulley underdrives exhaust).

now he installed a t/3/t4 or something like that , i raced him again and smoked him even worse, after asking some q's , he said they installed a 19psi turbo :rolleyes: but the guys that installed everything have never installed a boost controller.

so he ended up with this ton of money on parts and a slower car (spool up takes a loooooong time :nuts: altough i want that cool sounding bov :(

i raced him like 200 meters next week im gonna race him in a longer stretch he says he's gonna smoke me in the long run.

what do you think?

1990 thundebird SC 5 speed 2500dlls
BHJ balancer 300dlls
Underdrive pulleys 170dlls
5% overdrive pulley 75dlls
exhaust 250dlls

i cant wait until i get ported heads and a cam or a mp blower and plenum.

I think the guy you raced is an idiot.. There is no MAF upgrade for a 96 FWD mitsu.. The 2G MAF flows enough to run 10's.. You also do not do cam gears on a 4G63 unless you running cams.. Apex'i Intake :rolleyes: whoop dee do.. You cant install a 19psi turbo.. You install a turbo and it runs at what the wastegate spring is set for (ie: .7 bar, 1 bar, 1.1 bar) I can understand running 19 pounds but if you dont have any fuel mods to go with it you can pretty mich kiss the stock motor byebye.. Guy probably had a BOV, intake and FMIC.. If you saw with your own eyes that he had the other stuff you mentioned (i still have stock ignition and im running 11's) then he's a disgrace to the 4G63 name :D Still congrats on the kill...

I'm in complete agreement with Dennis on this. That fella is either an idiot or he is lying, probably both from the sounds of it.:rolleyes:

just wait for the boom....

just wait, his car will blow up, my friend had a 95 gsx, and he went through 3 engines in less than a year, he had the upgraded turbo and upped psi, and look what that did, it blew up, so if hes running the stock bottom then keep racing him cause it will go out eventually especially at 19 psi

i know the guy he's a cousins friend
i know there no 19psi turbo that why i put the rolleyes pic , i owned a turbocoupe before the sc and put from 9 spi to 21 psi with the t/3 with a gillis valve , also í saw the msd ignition and cam gears, and the turbo , but the guy still running STOCK boost thats like 10-11psi
he has a non functoning boost gauge when i asked why he hast fixed that he asked what for i have the tachometer, i know that the car has the potential to totally smoke me , just not in his hands also the size of the turbo is too big he spools up until 4500

he do is a rich kid with a hot car, but he's and idiot that only buys what ricer shops tell him , with those mods and 19-20psi he would run like 12's no where my sc can touch that.

i just took advantage of his ignorance.

BTW i love turbos i prefer em to superchargers but in this case he ended like the honda guy with a giant turbo and low boost.

yea for sur ewith what you said he had done, hittign the 12's or low 13's shouldnt be a problem, but some people are just too stupid when it comes to cars, liek this guy in my town had a 383 stroked built and it only makes 330 horsepower and he payed over 8000 to have it done, he now loses to automtic 00 and up camaro ss with the ls1...for 8,000 anyone could hit alot higher hp than that. oh well i love my car:)

Re: just wait for the boom....

aplvlydrtybird said:
just wait, his car will blow up, my friend had a 95 gsx, and he went through 3 engines in less than a year, he had the upgraded turbo and upped psi, and look what that did, it blew up, so if hes running the stock bottom then keep racing him cause it will go out eventually especially at 19 psi

Did your freind ever do the fuel pump on his car? Thats standard procedure in a DSM once u go past 15psi.. Most 7 bolts (95-99) handle around 400 crank HP before they let go.. And turbospeed.. Yea that guy's a total chode.. LoL :D

Wait til he drives it hard, goes home, and forgets to let it idle for a while. Can we say lock-up? Sounds like a moron. Just because he has a lot of mods doesnt mean they work well together or that its tuned to its potential. Mods have to work hand in hand if theyre going to be successful, we all know that. And each mod has a list of things that it needs to go along with it. He's just missing some very vital parts it sounds like.

1QuikV6 said:
Wait til he drives it hard, goes home, and forgets to let it idle for a while. Can we say lock-up? Sounds like a moron. Just because he has a lot of mods doesnt mean they work well together or that its tuned to its potential. Mods have to work hand in hand if theyre going to be successful, we all know that. And each mod has a list of things that it needs to go along with it. He's just missing some very vital parts it sounds like.

Whats gonna lock up? Yeah he is an idiot.
I've owned one of those cars since April of 89 and ran 17 psi for many years on that engine and run the piss out of it daily.
Finaly in june of this year and 238,000 miles later the HG finaly went. The 4G63 engine is tough anybody that has managed to blow 3 of those engines in a year is worse than an idiot and should'nt be allowed to even own a car.

I was referring to "Lock Up" as what can happen when you drive a turbocharged car and dont allow the oil to cool before shutting it off.

MIKE 38sc said:
Whats gonna lock up? Yeah he is an idiot.
I've owned one of those cars since April of 89 and ran 17 psi for many years on that engine and run the piss out of it daily.
Finaly in june of this year and 238,000 miles later the HG finaly went. The 4G63 engine is tough anybody that has managed to blow 3 of those engines in a year is worse than an idiot and should'nt be allowed to even own a car.

I believe he means the turbo if you dont let it cool down a bit..

Mike you got any mods to ur DSM? or you dont have it anymore?

yea my friend is an idiot, but i am not sure it was all his fault, he purchased the car, and it had crank walk,a nd the second engine he ahd installed also had the same thing, so it wasnt all his fault, alot of it was probably just the dsm

Back