Cleaning Suede

MercXr7-5speed

SCCoA Member
I have recently aquired a set of 35th anny seats from a guy in new york. The drivers side bolster is kinda screwed but the rest of the seats look really good. I found some really good cleaner for the leather itself but have been striking out with suede cleaner. After doing some research, I went out and purchased and emory board, brush and some kind of spray cleaner. Spray cleaner sucked! The emory board, (which turns out is nothing more than a big eraser) does the suede some justice but not as good as it could be. For all you guys with 35th's (or 35th seats), what have you found to be the best cleaner for the suede? I like the look of the seats alot but these "water" stains in the suede are killing the apperence. Thanks in advance,

Joe

We need to find out from Lance Morgan or someone versed in 35ths on whether those seats are really suede. Ford uses a product called Alcantara in the Explorers and Lightnings, F150's etc. that is synthetic suede, because not only is it cheaper, it can be cleaned with any foaming cloth type cleaner (Blue Coral makes a good one).

I am willing to bet it's Alcandara and not suede, but then, I have bet wrong before. Most people would not be able to tell the difference.

You are limited if it's real suede, but brushing and use of a soft pencil eraser can safely remove some marks and stains, to a degree.

The chemical dry cleaners use to clean and protect suede -perchloroethylene, is effective but is very toxic and is only sold to liscensed professionals. It's also in brake cleaner, but I would advise against it since you don't know what the other stuff in it will do to suede.

If I knew more about the 35ths I would know the answer to what that material really is, but I don't.

If Ford is consistent, it's synthetic Alcantara, but...we all know Ford isn't consistent. Cheers.

Last edited:
Just wandering, but did anyone find out anything about reupholstering 35th seats? I haven't heard from Lance lately so I was just courious.

Hi, guys. Been busy around the home front. Regarding the 35th seats, Ford used actual "pig" suede originally, which accounts for the fact that they often rot after time and useage. The best way to go for renewal and longevity is the ultrasuede or similar replacement. It's like suede but easier to clean and wears longer. That's why Ford and others use it now. The best method for cleaning the original suede is a suede or leather cleaner solution which most upholstery shops can steer you toward. I have not tried much lately on getting 35th seats replaced with real suede in any quantities since my last deal fell through. I have talked to Leatherseats.com and Eric has told me a full set for a 35th would be around 900 or so. A group buy may be cheaper. The 35th seats are quite an enigma it seems in a lot of upholstery circles in that they are done individually as a car is brought to the upholsterer. There isn't one way or source for doing them. I'm there with the rest of you figuring out the best way to go. I wish I could help more with it.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

tbirdsc35th said:
Hi, guys. Been busy around the home front. Regarding the 35th seats, Ford used actual "pig" suede originally, which accounts for the fact that they often rot after time and useage. The best way to go for renewal and longevity is the ultrasuede or similar replacement. It's like suede but easier to clean and wears longer. That's why Ford and others use it now. The best method for cleaning the original suede is a suede or leather cleaner solution which most upholstery shops can steer you toward. I have not tried much lately on getting 35th seats replaced with real suede in any quantities since my last deal fell through. I have talked to Leatherseats.com and Eric has told me a full set for a 35th would be around 900 or so. A group buy may be cheaper. The 35th seats are quite an enigma it seems in a lot of upholstery circles in that they are done individually as a car is brought to the upholsterer. There isn't one way or source for doing them. I'm there with the rest of you figuring out the best way to go. I wish I could help more with it.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Lance, I am thinking of going the ultrasuede route. What is the name of the ultrasuede that replaces the original suede? I found a possible place that might be able to reupholster my seats.

Thanks!
Shane

Hi Shane.
I sent samples to a guy who has an original 35th set in the box and he compared them to the samples. The closest Ultrasuede color we found was the Dove Gray. I don't remember the part no right offhand but the name should get you the color. I wish you luck and hope it works out for you. Keep me informed, if you would.

Thanks.

A great weekend to all.

Lance, I'll keep you posted about my progress with my seats. I am going to the shop this week if I have the time, and will report back with the verdict.

Thanks!
Shane

Back