?

hoffmandj

My question is simple. How do you get the passenger halfshaft removed to pull the diff. I understand the left one just pulls out. Someone mentioned that you could just remove the spindle bolts but won't all that spring pressure cause a proablem

The half/shafts are retained in the diff by cir-clips that simply apply slight pressure inside a groove in the side gears in the diff. The shafts simply pull out of the housing.

You need to disconnect the upper link to the knuckles on both sides. Then loosen the lower knuckle attachment points and pivot it downwards pressing out the axle shaft as you do so. You may need to remove the knuckle entirely.

Then you can pull the axle shaft out. When reinstalling you must use NEW axle nuts. They are a multi-piece design that deform under the 250 ft/lbs torque spec. Once torqued, if you loosen them they'll never stay tight again. The dealer has them for a reasonable cost (people have reported $6-$9 each USD)

It does not affect the springs.

With Jerome Gipsons help (well he did all the real work) We changed my rear gear and half shafts in Vancouver last Friday night.

Will all my experience (once) It was easiest to pull both sides off to make it easier to get them aligned.

They are not held in by any real force just the clip in the rear gear. They pretty much just pull out.

With the hoist it was fairly easy to pull it apart support the dissasembled knuckles. (Especially with Jerome doing the work :) )

Just make sure you get the new axle seals and nuts. I paid 11 bucks for each of the nuts and seals. If you change the fluid you need Friction modifier also.
Also you need a torque wrench that will go to 250ft lbs.

Sorry if I confused anybody. What I meant was if you remove the upper knuckle retainer want the suspension springs want to push the lower swing arm down.

Back