<sniff> HG went away... advice please

asand

My heart is broken,... My oil has been replaced with the creamy coffee colors of a blown HG. And I was just about to drop a few thousand into it to make it really look & handle great again. I welcome your advice on how to handle this situation.

1) Should I just do the HG's or the whole motor?
2) What will this cost?
3) Who could do this sort of work? The stealership?

Here is some background on the car:
Stock 92 SC 5MT (all avail. opts except the CD player & data center)
84,XXX miles (never abused,... well, VERY VERY RARELY :D )
Interior in outstanding shape, paint absolutely must be redone, body needs some work.
Garage kept first 3/4 of it's life.
Known to need EGR valve, and O2 sensors, & struts

I was about to fix the body, paint it, replace the struts & springs (lower car) when this happened. What should I do? Could it be worth it to fix it? The car is too nice to part out...

Yes, fix it!! I'd ask around for a reputable shop and get a couple price quotes. Also, it is a good time to have the heads ported and polished, and maybe even through in a mild cam.

Thomas

If you have creamy coffee oil, you need to do the whole engine rebuild. But it's not that big a deal, it sounds like you have a few bucks to spend, and now you have a chance to get some performance parts in there. IMHO, a fast car that looks bad is better than a slow car that only looks cool ;)

1: Stay as far away from the dealership as possible.
2: Get advice here about performance upgrades and options.
3: Find a good performance shop to do the rebuild. Maybe the guys on the NJ or NY chapter forums can recommend.
4: Don't even think about going to the dealership.
5: TOW your car to the shop, don't even try to start it, that could cause more damage.

I have guys who do this....

If you need work done, we at the New Jersey board have special arrangements made for engines and Ford Reman's, if you're interested. I would, depending on how you'll drive it, do heads and cam, if you're only going to drive it like you do now and don't want headaches, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! As you can see, many that do mods have issues that require dyno tuning and special tuners. I would recommend that a rebuilt long block, pressure test the heads, refurbish the heads, three angle vale job, blended bowls on heads, roller rockers, and drive it. These mods require no special tuning, and your car will thank you. Also, take the ported head money and buy the Magnum Powers plenum and magnaport II blower, larger throttle body. This will give you a HUGE kick in the butt and again, require no major tuning.

This is what I'm doing on my 91. I did the other route and although I'm satisfied now, it took over a year to FINALLY get it tuned right.

Give me a call if you have any questions.....

Don

(973) 277-4294

what are you comfortable with

some .. will say rebuild whole motor ...some will say... you may not have to..I would pull oil filter drain it ...and then rip it apart ...to see if the bearings are in there ...if not full of metal flakes ..move onto ..just changing the headgaskets ...drove mine for 3 days ..with a well above normal oil level ..20,000 klm since headgaskets ..strong as a ox ....and allways abused...dave

Back