Crank sensor wiring harness

OKThumper

I read 58 threads from the search and did not find an answer, so I don't feel to bad about asking.

93' SC crank sensor wiring, mine has four wires, one red, one light blue, one dark blue w/tracer, and one dark blue wo/tracer in the round connector. Out of the same harness is a single wire, possibable yellow, that goes into a square connector by itself. This single wire is insulated on the sensor side, and not insulated, except for what looks like unshrunk heat shrink< on the opposite side of the connector were it goes into the wiring bundle that picks up the DIS, Cam Sensor and others. So what is the wire for? Reason for asking, the cam sensor went bad, again, and when I was replacing the cam sensor the single wire broke, but the car still runs, and runs fine. So what is the wire for, and should I repair it. That was stupid, of course I am going to repair it, why did I ask, dunno. But what does it do?

Thanks
Thumper :confused: :confused: :confused:

Its an electric sheild, it sheilds the crank sensor wires from electrical noise and interference from plugs,alternator and electric motors.

Mike: Thanks, I just knew that somebody would know what it was. So why do we keep having cam sensors going bad. Is it heat cycles, vibration, or are they just short lived?

Thanks
Thumper:D :D :D

damn I could have answered that, since my mike told me, mike is my dis- ignition buddy ;) I know so much more because of him :D

Back