Problems with quick release (5spd)

pearl95sc

I need an answer asap here. trying to put hydrolic line back into tranny. what is the trick to getting the damn thing to clip in. been wrestling with it for about 30 min. and can't get it.

I found this in my ford service guide. Disconnect the coupling at the transmission with Clutch Coupling Tool T88T-70522-A by sliding the white plastic sleeve toward the slave cylinder while applying a slight tug on the clutch tube. Is there a way around using this tool? Would autozone or pepboys have it in their loaner area?

they are a bear to get apart sometimes. they make tools similar for replacing fuel filters and aircondition hoses most parts stores have them

The Tool

Don't sweat it if you dont have the tool. I spen $15 bucks on one and ended up using a screw driver instead.

You just have to press that white platic ring evenly into the slave cylinder and eventually the coupling will pop out. But you need to get it back in right.

Its the same process, get the coupling started into the slave and then use a screw driver or what ever to work the platic ring (evenly) back into the slave while pushing on the coupling a bit. It will sorta click and seat itself when you get it.

Be carefull not to break that plastic ring.

Then pray you only have to bleed your clutch once!

Good luck.
MB

pearl95sc said:
I need an answer asap here. trying to put hydrolic line back into tranny. what is the trick to getting the damn thing to clip in. been wrestling with it for about 30 min. and can't get it.

I have a similar problem, I can't get mine apart. I need to head over to the dealer and see if I can buy/beg/borrow/steal Ford Tool Number T88T-70522-A.

NAPA doesn't carry them.
Pep Boys doesn't carry them.
Autozone doesn't carry them.
Checker/Craiger doesn't carry them.

Snap-On does Stock Number YA7646.
But I need one this weekend. Don't think Fed-Ex will be able to get me one here on time.

I don't have an answer to your real question. If you haven't tried, put some brake fluid on the collar to try and lubricate it. I doubt pushing the collar back while trying to insert it would help, doing that would probably prevent it from snapping in place.
It is suppose to just snap in like the fuel disconnects.

RichM

Did it with the tool no prob but...

It can be done pretty easily w/o the tool and $12 is a bit much for basically a flat piece of iron with a cup cut in the end, but then again I did it with the tool. Anyway, with the tool, or a screwdriver, pair of nails, etc. - place it between the tube and the slave cylinder input, then pull the tool, etc. back toward the tranny while pushing out on the tube itself with your other hand. Took me about five minutes the first time and it doesn't come smooth, just kind of jerky-like. Did go back in smooth though, just pushed right in and hooked, kind of like an air hose.

Brian

installation

Getting it out was the easy part. My friend did this for me about a year ago when everything came out of the car. Now, $4k later, it's almost drivable, w/ the exception that I have no clutch until I can get the line back in. I removed all the fluid from the line figuring it may help, nada. Even tried to open the bleeder screw and had it break on me, so I replaced the hydro clutch assy. Which brought me to where I am at now. I can't get the damn thing back in. from what everyones saying, it would appear that the white collar must remain in the quick release. when I do that and try pushing the line in, the o ring on the line gets caught up a little and the line won't go in for nothing. I gave up today, after about an hour of workin on it. The ford service guide says to use the tool for installation, so i figured I should probaly pick one up and file it in the special tools drawer. This definately qualifies in one of those what was for thinking categories.

I had one that I couldn't get back in. Turns out I used the "new" oring that came with the new slave cyl instead of using the old one. What was I thinking? Well, anyway after putting on the old oring it popped right in.

Also, make sure that the bleeder screw is open when attempting to reinstall. If the PP is putting any pressure on the slave, it won't go in.

As for getting it out, I've had to cut the lines before when the couple gets full of corrosion. New line is like $80 FWI.

I would get the tool. If you screw it up with the screwdriver then you might be in tough luck. I have done it many times with the screwdriver though, just don't recommend it since if you screw it up you will not be a happy camper. :D

I'm about to experience this myself...got to replace the slave cylinder in my 94!

If the coupling is like the fuel line coupling on a 95, then it should just push in with a snap!

My fuel lines were a bear getting off. I purchased a tool from advance. They had several sizes and I had to take one back and get the correct size.

oops

My fault, need to read more thoroughly...but I'm going to say kind of the same thing. For putting the line back in I didn't even use the tool, don't see why you would even need to. I have a 91 factory manual and on my 93 you didn't need a tool for installation, just for removal. And it went in easy by hand (no tools), I would check to make sure nothing is in the slave cylinder part of the line, etc...sorry can't be of more help.

Brian

An FYI

Found the problem. That damn O-ring on the end of the line was worn. It was getting caught and being stretched each time I went to put it in. I tackled with it for an hour before shelling out that pocket change for a New O-ring, $.47.

Back