Synchros - do it yourself ?

MartianBob

My tranny is beggin for synchros, 1st 2nd 3rd.

I have searched the site and found only prices, etc. regarding M5r2 synchros. No how to's?

Once the tranny is out does this job require special tools?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

i thought it was easy but ive done a few before , it was easier than some other kinds of trannys , i didnt need any special tools just some shims to tighten up the endplay it had a lot of endplay . i would not use brass i would get the factory kind.the hardest part i remember of was driving the pins out of the shifter forks and getting the slave cylinder hose unhooked

Last edited:
Sounds hopefull

I had my tranny out a couple months ago. Replaced the output shaft seal. There was only about 1/8 inch top/bottom end play in the input shaft. I took the inspection cover off just to check it out (I had never seen inside a tranny before).

Can you give me some more details / steps on this procedure. Is it as simple as taking off the front cover on the input shaft and pulling out parts and putting them back in the same order. Seriously.

thanks
Bob

the output shaft seal is the same thing as the tail shaft seal correct?

Was that easy? I just got a rebuilt trans, 2months later it started leaking out of the rear seal so Im getting the seal for free under warrenty but I have to pay $110 for labor ... :-/

Yea, the output shaft seal and tail shaft, tailshaft, seal are the same thing. I didn't know what one was until mine disintegrated while removing drive shaft, to get the tranny out, to replace my clutch.

The seal probably costs only 5 or 10 bucks but the drive shaft has to come out and that means the gas tank comes down or the differential comes down, and that cost 100 bucks.

Getting the seal in / out of the tail shalft isn't that tough, but I also had my tranny out on the driveway when I pry'ed it out and delicately pounded it back in with a large piece of pipe.

It's sort of pinch, literally, to get the drive shaft out by just dropping the diff; there is just barely enough room. Like I said, I screwed mine up while doing just the same thing. I imagine the drive shaft comes out a lot easier by dropping the gas tank.

Think of it this way, if your biggest tranny problem is a leaky tail shalft seal then you are a blessed man indead. I would trade you in a minute!

Cheers
MB

well I just paid close to $2000 for a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel and rebuilt transmission ... now its leaking out of the tailshaft lol.... it could be the drive shaft I hope to god its simply the seal.

I just purchased a tailshaft seal from Southern Gear and one from Ford. Huge difference. I would get one from Ford. Few more bucks but 10X the product.

There are many tools made specifically for rebuilding these trannies. However, I have done several with no special tools at all (and one with most of the right tools - thanks Duffy!).

I have thought about doing a complete step by step but it has stalled out in the "thinking stage."

In a nut shell, typically the bearings will be fine and the syncronizers will be useable. All you need to replace are the seals, blocker rings, and shims for the input shaft. All these parts can be bought from Ford for about $90-100. It requires a good vernier caliper or dial indicator to set the shaft end play. It should be made as close to .002" as possible. When you are done the shaft will have *just* perceptable play in it. Many rebuilds miss this part of the operation.

It does require complete dissasembly to replace the blockers.

Back