OVERDRIVE question

coupe de soup

Hi
I just bought a 89 SC that has no overdrive
when you shift from drive to od nothing happens
(it stays in drive)
is this the od band or maybe the tv cable?
will the non sc trannys work in the sc?
thanks in advance

sean

liquidsign@lycos.com

Sounds like someone's been doing the 1-D-1 shuffle shift. That usually results in the OD band being burnt into uselessness and no OD. It requires teardown of the trans to repair.

If the trans shifts normally otherwise it isn't likely to be TV cable related.

no go on non sc tranny

I learned this the hard way with my xr7. We came up on a rebuil tranny w/ shift kit and performance internals. Lasted about 3k miles. Had metal shavings all in the pan. I think it may have been screwed from the begining. Then again, I did do a lot of high speed driving too (85-125), maybe higher, speedo pegged, rpms kept goin. Anyways, OD blew out when I was at 110mph, slowed to 85 made it to citgo about 1 mi. from home. checked dipstick, all looked fine. Went to back up, reverse gone, put in drive, got this terrible grinding noise w/ limited acceleration. Had no second, wouldn't even engage doing the 1-d-1 maneouver. Make a long story short, $300 spent, had to put old slipping tranny w/leak problems back in, and spent about 24 hrs. in time doing the two tranny jobs. Just get another SC tranny.

P.S. The tranny was supposed to be for a mustang.

i say... i say i say.. that you get the tranny rebuilt. with a shift kit.
i believe non-sc trannys are weaker from the inside. Just get yours rebuilt and make sure you shell out for the shift kit. It will be worth it. Also after you get it rebuilt. Pop in a stand-alone transmission fluid cooler. It will add thousands of miles to your rebuilt tranny. I had mine rebuilt and havent had any problems with it since. Nice long burn outs from 1 - 2 and sometimes from 2 - 3. :cool:

I'd first check the linkage to make sure the shifter is inputting its position of OD into the tranny. If it is, then I'd check the TV cable. The Throttle Valve cable tells the tranny mechanically the position of the throttle blade to get a reference of which gear it should choose(the 89-93 SC autos were all mechanical). If the TV cable is maladjusted, it will keep the tranny out of OD(ask me how I know that one)
A Haynes or Chiltons will have the adjustment procedure. It's simple. If after adjusting the cable the tranny still won't hit OD, then it probably will need a rebuild.

i dont think the TV cable has anything to do with the tranny going into overdrive. My TV cable wasent even close to being in the correct position and it would still shift into OD. If the TV cable is mal-adjusted the shifts either are too long or too quick. In my case when the TV cable was mal adjusted it would shift too early from 2-3. And the Overdrive wouldnt really shift down from 4th if you would come to a stop.

well check out the exterior components like homie said. then if it doesnt work out. get a diagnostics from AAMCO or some other tranny shop. I believe they are free. Atleast the external diagnostics. Wouldnt hurt.

Back