iridium spark plugs

RGuy

I was told the stock plugs are Iridium, but I searched the FAQ and found that they are double platinum...is this correct?

Rob

Yes, the stock ones are double plat's. I heard though I think from Fast Ed N (Correct me if I'm wrong please) that the double plat's have been discontinued by Ford. I've got a set of iridiums on the way and will get them installed in a couple weeks. From what I've seen, the iridiums are better than the platinum as the material (Iridium, go figure...) is stronger, conducts electricity better, and has a high melting point than platinum. The biggest advantage is the ability to conduct electricity better. The iridium plugs actually take less energy to fire than platinum plugs. That translates in to better performance and durability of the ignition system. And the iridium plugs can be had for about the same price as the double plats. I paid $6.95 per plug for the iridiums and paid (foolishly) $10.00 for the *double plats (I'm not sure that they actually are the double plats). That was about a year and a half ago, and now I've got to replace them again.

I do know that there are several people on the boards who are running the iridium plugs and are very satisfied with the results. And this is in high powered SC's.

I called O'Reilly's for the motorcraft plugs. They told me that AWSF34PP has been replaced with AGSF34FM.

Can anyone confirm this to be correct?

Their price is $3.99 each.

who sells the Iridium plugs?

Rob

Iridium Plugs are the bomb!!!

These are much better than stock 34PP's and anyone running high boost and big cams are running these. Some high horse SC's actually blow out the spark on 34pp's while the iridiums are doing great.

Talk to David Neibert about the plugs...

Don

There are 2 different companies who make the iridiums as far as I know. I got mine from NGK (a local parts store who carries NGK). The part # is NGK-TR55-1IX. This is the standard length spark plug gapped at .059 I think. Stock gap is .054 which is what I plan on going with. They are available from a number of different places online as well as some local places.

If those plugs are the stock length are they threded all the way down or are they like the stock plats? I have had problems with my plugs possabley over heating and closing up on gap. Not much but last time I took them out one was at .035 the others were in the .040`s. These are the autolites pp`s. Now after a high speed run its missing again. Looks like those Iridium plugs
are going in.

21 lbs of boost with no flame out....Denso iridiums..AND I DID NOT REGAP(AS PER INSTRUCTIONS) remember wider gap..more power..So long as you can fire it!

I'm running the NGK's in my 1990. I got them because I wanted to rid detination because of the addition of a 10% pulley. It probably wouldn't have mattered much though because I never get on it at all. I just drive the thing around on nice days(its park till spring) and like a grandma.

Good Lord....this tired assed debate about spark plugs has been going on for over 30 years that I know of and still no clear winner.
Dont get too comfortable with those meteor spark plugs.LOL!!!!
This spring there coming out with the new Titanium enhanced Thoriated tungsten blended Iridiums.
There supposed to fire with a AA battery there so good. They have 6 yes 6 ground electrodes on them and rumor is each electrode is worth 10 HP!..LOL!!!! Rumor has it they were developed at area 51. Alien technology finally available to the general public, mankind has been saved! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!:p :)

MIKE 38sc said:
Good Lord....this tired assed debate about spark plugs has been going on for over 30 years that I know of and still no clear winner.
Dont get too comfortable with those meteor spark plugs.LOL!!!!
This spring there coming out with the new Titanium enhanced Thoriated tungsten blended Iridiums.
There supposed to fire with a AA battery there so good. They have 6 yes 6 ground electrodes on them and rumor is each electrode is worth 10 HP!..LOL!!!! Rumor has it they were developed at area 51. Alien technology finally available to the general public, mankind has been saved! ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!:p :)

MIKE 38sc, are you just playing around or are the Titanium things actually going to come out?

I run nothing but standard copper plugs in my 12 sec car. I change them once a year usually, but I've never experienced a misfire. Another very high HP SC running more boost than I and nitrous on top of that runs the same plugs.

Autolite 764's for every day use and 103's for extreme use. Always gap at .045". No debate, just the facts. Plug changes cost me $9 and I don't get no stinkin discount either. :p

XR7 Dave said:
I run nothing but standard copper plugs in my 12 sec car. I change them once a year usually, but I've never experienced a misfire. Another very high HP SC running more boost than I and nitrous on top of that runs the same plugs.

But that same SC was blowing spark plug #3, until he starting pulling the octane plug.:p
Later
Ken

No Ken, he wasn't blowing out the spark, HE MELTED OFF THE WHOLE TIP! This was due to detonation under the juice. Same thing happens to Iridium type plugs. Ask Bill McNeil how he knows this and he's not using nitrous either. Fact is that we aren't running enough boost to have issues with "blowing out the spark" on a standard plug. If we were running 20+ psi then it might become an issue. If these guys are having trouble with spark at their performance level, then spark plugs are the least of their worries. :)

I've had stock double plats, short tip double plats, stock length iriduims and short tip iriduims. My car runs about the same with all of them. All the plug switching I've done was because I was chasing other problems. The first set of iriduims were installed because we thought the spark was blowing out. Turned out to be valve float, because of broken inner springs.

I'm only using the iriduims now because Wayne Ing's article on nitrous said it would blow the platnuim tips off the stock plugs. Well that and they seem to be holding up good and they don't cost any more than stock plugs.

The iriduims will burn up just as easy as a copper plug if your lean. Watch Chris Wise's 11.1 video is you want to see what one looks like coming out the tail pipes.

David

Back