My mechanic has no idea???

luv the coupe

My car has a major hesitation or a miss in it. If I step on it the car will miss, the miss will last about a half a second and then will run okay. The car usually run well unless I step on it to much. I know this message is not very informative but I am not sure how to explain it. I am just hoping someone else had this problem and may be able to point us in the right direction.
Thank

Fuel Pressure?

Has fuel filter been changed? If not change and check fuel pressure. If too low have fun changing the pump. If bad pump then it is a good time for high psi type. This may not be problem but was with 2 cars I have owned with your symptoms.

I agree on checking the fuel pressure. Mine acted kinda like that but WAY worse. Checking it is an easy job.

If it's low could be the regulator or the pump. Another possibility is the fuel lines. On my 90 they're plastic and they got crunched.

There is a way to diagnose the regulator but I don't remember what it is.

If the check engine comes on, car runs bad, then goes off, car runs ok afterwards, I'd replace the cam sensor. My 92 got to the point I couldn't get up a freeway entrance ramp, but miraculously everything would suddenly disappear when I let off the gas. Simple fix, cheap as well.
I'd also look into your plugs depending on how much mileage you have. Replaced them lately?
I also agree on the fuel filter. It's worth a shot. Changing that fixed a stalling in park problem with my Taurus.

My 94 does this in high gear. If I step on the gas it stall for a second or two. I sometimes have to slamm the gas all the way in order for it to go into passing gear and then it flies. It usually happens when I try to pass on the hwy with out flooring it completly. I have no idea what this could be.

Rick

Can you duplicate this sitting in your driveway and snapping the throttle, or does it only happen when the engine is under load?

If you can duplicate this sitting still and snapping the throttle, then the mechanic should just hook it up to a scope and track it down.

If not, start with the fuel pressure check.

things to check

If there are no codes then check or do the following.
1. Replace fuel filter, couldn't hurt and its cheap
2. Check Mass Air, my friends t-bird had no power and acceration problems, turned out the mass air was bad. Had no computer codes.
3. Check TPS. get a voltage check of the green wire of the TPS. Should scale from around .80 to 4-5 volts.
4. Check Air filter
5. Check plugs and plug wires, my t-bird eats plug wires, When the insulation goes out the car bucks under boost. Boost raises the resistance so the spark jumps to the header. Under normal driving the car is fine. (boot insulators make things nice)

Back