well there it goes, (HGs i think)

92redsc

well my bird was fun for well the first month i had it. i have been telling you about my boost prob, i can peg the gauge in 3rd gear and its stock. (removed air scilencer) well at first it was like 13 psi in third and when you would get above 4000 rpms it would act like it gave up until you shifted to the next gear and dropped the rpms. i was thinking something to do with the exhaust. well yesterday i floored it and got the boost gauge to peg out 15 psi in third and then my temp gauge went into the red so i pulled over and antifreeze was every where and the overflow was full and it was bubbling. Head gasket right? well getting 15 psi with the stock exhaust im not surprised. im still wondering what was making it get so much boost, any sug. on how to find out if its the exhaust? well thanks and i will be getting ready on putting on some new HGs. also i have code 172 so ill replace that o2 sensor whille im there. thanks again.

The high boost is from the restrictive stock exhaust. You said the car was stock, right? As in stock exhaust? The exhausts on these cars create so much back pressure you read it as 15 psi of boost when actually it's only 10 pounds or so of forced air charge and the rest is burned gasses that can't get out fast enough. Many a head gasket has gone to the wayside because of the stock exhaust(mine did).
Replace the exhaust with high flow cats and some smoother pipe and boost will drop to around 10 pounds max but power will go way up. Don't feel bad, though. Mine was a 92 as well.
On a side note, if coolant was everywhere and the rad, hoses are ok, check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. If you fill the radiator and run the motor and coolant drains from that hole, you may have lucked out and just need a water pump. Funny. That also happend on my 92.

YEP that is right Randeeofdawoods

Cloged old cats = too much much back pressure = premature head gasket failure. That is what got my last engine.You plug the back pressure tester into where the O2 sensor would be and read what it says. Do yourself a fav and gut those cats.

Yes, trash the cats. I had a guy come to my shop with a blown HG three times. Every time I told him to get that factory exhaust replaced with a good high flow setup (he also had a 10% over drive pully on it). After the third time he sold me the car for 400 bucks. So here I am, finally a proud SC owner. Just need to get it running again.

man trick

thats a good deal for you huh? i dont want to gut the cats unless your possitive that i wont eve get caught and there is no way of the inspection guys finding out. its my daily driver. um isnt there 2 stock SC exhausts? one with a small res. into a center muffler then back to 2 dual mufflers. the other one witha long resonator back to two dual mufflers. which one flows better? i have the long resonator one. i want a cat back that sounds good(a MUST no crappy sound), gives me a good performance boost, and is cheap. that plus no or high flow cats will be better right? and then mabey a 5% pulley......
by the way can i check the cats myself, or does a muffler shop have to do it. and its not the water pump but thanks for that valid point.

Back