suspension check...which parts on check-list?

orttbird

First of all, forgive me for not having a SC;
my car is a 1997 4.6L LX (88,000 miles)

I need some help from you guys;

Due to a number of worrying harsh-ride/driveability symptoms, i've decided to have a full inspection of my suspension parts done.

[the symptoms are numerous, ranging from harsh ride, pulling to sides, vibration, swaying, feeling like there are no shocks on my car even when driving over the smallest unevenness on the road, banging/clanging etc, etc.. ]

I like to tell tell the mechanic exactly what to do;
what suspension and steering components/parts should he specifically and exactly look aeed somt and inspect for damage/worn out? I don't want him to miss anything, so I like to give him a list of things he should check (anal, i know, but I want to be sure and clear about this)

so, what should be on this check-list of components?
I'd greatly appreciate suggestions from you guys.

thanks very much in advance...

Checkin it.

Front end:

1. Strut rod -> lower control arm bushings. If these are original, I'm sure they are toast. Results in wheel movement and metel - metal clunking.

2. Lower control arm -> Sub frame (aka K-member) bushings. Wheel movement and general clunking.

3. Ball joints. Loud popping, and can be dangerous too when they go!

4. Sway bar end links. clunking over bumps.
5. Tie rod ends. clunking when turning wheel or going over bumps.
6. Sub frame bolts. Four per side. Crunching sound at low speeds over speed bumps, etc. These just need to be tightened with a Torx E-18 socket.

7. Wheel bearing / hub (its all one part in the front). Rythmic Clicking / clunking, especially around corners.

8. Upper shock retaining nut (one per side), and shock tower nuts (three per side).

Suggestion: Plan on getting new lower control arms from Ford. $120 a peice but they come with three sets of bushings and Ball joints allready pressed in.

Rear end.
1. Differential bushings. Can almost garauntee these are shot.
2. Knuckle bushings, three sets per side.
3. Wheel bearing and hub (two seperate parts in the rear), they usuall both go out together. The bearing is 25 - 50 bucks apiece and the hub is like 120 bucks only from Ford; these have to be pressed out and in to be replaced.
4. CV-joints. This requires your half shaft (aka axle, you have two) to be rebuilt; about 80 bucks apiece.

Overall suggestion. Get on the good side of your mechanic. When they come back and say you need this and that. Have them take you over to the car and show you what and why. Thats the cool aspect of suspension, you can see it. Its not like some mysterious engine problem.

Cheers, LX's are cool too!

MB

Excellent overview.

Parts which tend to go first:

Front end:

Upper control arms. ($50 ea)
rear strut rod bushings ($10 set)

Rear end:

Upper control arm inner bushings.
Diff bushings ($40 for poly)
Wheel bearings ($75 ea installed - they are pressed)

Plus the regular R&R labor.

I would replace all the shocks at the same time if you need to have those things done. You will love your MN12 all over again. :D

Back