Coolant leaking into wiring harness

quick35th

I have no idea how this is happening, but there is coolant getting into one of my wires. The wiring that the coolant is getting into is the one that runs below the oil filter. It runs up to the under hood fuse box and has two wirers in it where one is bigger then the other. I think bigger one goes to the starter and I'm not sure where the smaller one goes to. It is a 89 XR7 five-speed. Please help!

Thanks!
Shane

Turbine Coolant.

It could be leaking onto your fan and getting sprayed into many funky places. This happend to me, I was getting coolant on my coil pack as a result of a leak on the passenger side of the radiator. Also, it may only be leaking when the system is fairly hot.

good luck
Bob

I'm not sure about the fan splashing coolant everywhere because the only place I ever see coolant is in the wiring harness and on the other side of the K-member near the tranny.

Thanks for the help!
Shane

could be your timing chain cover leaking, I know mid 90's 3.8 motors had this problem. Could also be your water pump leaking fromt eh weep hole and dripping onto this harness. Check under your pump and see if its wet there, if it is you need a new pump as this leaks when the seals go on the pump. Also check the bottom of the timing chain cover for wetness

I'll check that this week and report back. I'm gessing that it is a real pain in the neck to replace the timing cover. What is the best way to do thye timing cover if that is the problem?

Thanks for all the help!
Shane

Well its not a piece of cake but not hard either. Time consuming though cause you have to remove the crank pulley, then remove the harmonic balancer, remove the PS pump pulley so you can remove that black bracket from the PS pump tot he water pump, then remove water pump, and cover. Like I said not hard but lots of little things.

Thanks for the information! When I did enicially notice the leak I was changing the oil. It was dripping where I gess the wires are held up on a hook I think on the passenger side of the motor.

Shane

What about the oil cooler lines leaking?? They are right there by the oil filter and woudl drip onto the wire bundle. I know the hoses on my '94 don't look the greatest.

Have someone pressurize the cooling system, that will tell you where the leak is. All they do is put pressure fitting where the rad cap would be and pump air into it which forces coolant out of the weakest point. Good luck

Thanks for the info guys! I'll check that area when I get a chance. If I pressurize the system it wont hert my headgaskets any will it? The car has 194,000 on it and I have no clue weather or not the headgaskets have ever been replaced.

Thanks for the help!
Shane

Pressurizing the cooling system is the same as testing the rad at a rad shop except all of the hoses running through the engine are attached and is done by hand up to about 20psi. If you have a leak, coolant will come out where ever its leaking and it will drop from 20psi. Your rad cap should hold 16psi before it opens to the overflow. So no it will not hurt you HG. Good luck

Thanks for the info guys! Its been raining so I haven't got the chance yet to crawl under it. I'll post back with more info when find out what it is.

Thanks!
Shane

Back