oil presure

toso

I have an '89 t-bird sc with the following problem:

My oil pressure gage is not working properly. I did a test
and it showed that I am not getting enough pressure. But
here is where it gets funny; I have no engine noise and the
car runs amazing. What can be the problem? Please help!!!

I did a test and it showed that I am not getting enough pressure.
In order to get any worthwhile information you are going to have to provide more information than this.

How did you test to see if you had oil pressure? You need to screw in a direct reading guage into the pressure port to see if the engine has good oil pressure. The stock sending unit is not analog, it's only a switch that is like an idiot light (on or off) so if you hooked an aftermarket guage to the stock sending unit it won't read proper pressure. First thing to do is clean and tighten the connection at the sender. If that doesn't work, do a search on this site and learn how to convert to a real analog sending unit to replace the stock one. If after checking properly you find you have inadequate oil pressure, you have bearing and/or oil pump problems. Good luck, John

WE DID THE CHECK AT A LOCAL GARAGE
THE GUY HAD A AFTER MARKET GAUGE SO WE HOOKED
IT ON AND THE READING WAS CRAZY BUT LIKE I SAID
THE ENGINE MAKES NO NOISE AND RUNS SMOOTH

Correct pressure is about 25psi at idle and 60+ above 2000rpm. Any pressure above 11psi will show a constant pressure on the gauge in the car. The car's gauge does not respond to pressure above 11psi.

You still didn't say what "crazy" means. :confused:

My $0.02

I have a set of Sunpro, electric gauges on mine (see my pics on my member page). The oil pressure runs about 70 psi at startup; about 25-30 when warm at idle speed. Spec on my 94 is 30-50 lbs at 2000 RPM and normal operating temperature (200-220F).

When yours is low, what's the temp and idle speed? Also, have you checked the specs for your 89 on the SCCoA site?

Oil Filter

Also, how long since oil filter change? If the filter is clogged and running in "bypass" mode, pressure can look really low.

I CHANGED MY OIL FILTER CHANGED OILS
WHAT'S CRAZY IS MY PRESURE ID SOMETHING LIKE
6 PSI AT IDLE AMD 11 PSI WHEN GIVING GAZ.
DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT THE AFTER MARKET GAUGE
HAS SOME THING TO DO WITH IT.

That oil pressure is certainly not "safe" to drive with. If you doubt the mechanic's gauge, then check it again. Otherwise you may be real close to losing your engine. I would imediately begin using 20w50 oil if you are not already.

Having an oil pressure gauge added for testing will not affect the normal pressure.

Well either your internal engine clearances are worn (rod and crank bearings) or your oil pump is shot.
I'm bet'in on the worn bearings myself.

toso said:
I CHANGED MY OIL FILTER CHANGED OILS
WHAT'S CRAZY IS MY PRESURE ID SOMETHING LIKE
6 PSI AT IDLE AMD 11 PSI WHEN GIVING GAZ.
DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT THE AFTER MARKET GAUGE
HAS SOME THING TO DO WITH IT.
Don't quote me on this, but from what I've heard, the stock oil sender unit kicks in at around 7psi, or at least thats what I've read. The stock oil sender unit isn't really isn't meant for a guage at all, its more like a switch for an idiot lite. Only in the case of the Tbird, they wired it up to a dash guage for that sporty effect. Anyway, if the stock rating is 7psi, then Ford must have thought that was good enough.

Get some more opinions though, I'd hate for you to blow an engine due to bad oiling.

Back