Anybody know anything about A4LD Trannys?

Mike Combs

I'm sorry to bring a non-SC question, but you guys are full of good ideas.

I have a 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with a A4LD transmission and it has developed a big leak. It pours out of the tranny on the very top, pretty close to the tail section. when not running it leaks out at a good pace. When running it sprays out porportional to the RPM of the engine.

Originally thinking it was a pan gasket, we replaced it and after pouring the 6th quart of fluid it started to come back out in the same spot.

Is there a plug or something that could have come out??

Any help is greatly appriciated!!

Last edited:
There may be a vent plug missing, but fluid shouldn't just run out to begin with. Are you SURE it takes 6 quarts? It could be over filled. Sounds a bit much to me, but I could be wrong. And if it is puking out the vent hole like that, you could have developed some internal damage.
I thought TC's had AOD's?

In your response to your question, Turbo Coupes used a beefed up A4LD because they have the 2.3L 4cyl engine. The AOD cannot be used with the 2.3L because the bellhousing is too big.

The transmissions capacity is 12.3 quarts. I'm positive it isn't over filled.

I'm pretty sure that it is some kind of a plug that has blown off. I am going to go out right now and tighten the tail housing to be sure that isn't it.

I cannot get a good top-view of the transmission so I don't know what is up there. Anybody with a good pic of a A4LD transmissions top side (close-up of the section right before the tail housing) please email it to me. Or even if you know what is in the location I have described.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Mike, if you can wait until tomorrow, I'll take a look at the illustrations in the parts catalogue when I'm back to work. It's been a while since I've dealt with any A4LD stuff, I don't remember what's up there !!

cheers
Ed N.

That pdf file helped alot.

There is definately a vent or cap in the exact place the fluid is leaking from.

My next questions are, what do the tranny vent do??

And how do I replace it??

The transmissions capacity is 12.3 quarts. I'm positive it isn't over filled.
Don't be so positive that capacity is if the trans and torque converter are completely empty. If you have a leak it will stop moving long before it is completely empty so if you put 6 Qts of fluid into it, it's WAY overfull. If you drain/remove the pan on an A4LD trans it takes about 4 to 4 1/2 qts to refill it.

Vent plugs are just little bolts with bronze filters on them, same as differential vent plugs. Available at any autoparts store. I'd think yours probably just fell out over time, but it's worth a check to look more closely to make sure the hole hasn't cracked making a good tight plug fit impossible.

If you do need a replacement vent, and can't find the proper item at an auto parts store ... the Ford # is D0AZ 7034 B, it's only a few dollars.

I don't see anything else up there in the parts catalogue illustration.

cheers
Ed N.

Back