Crazy intercooler and IC tube routing idea of mine

metalman

I a few days I am going to put my rebuilt engine back in my '90 SC
and I just had this neat rerouting idea-

The IC tubes are aluminum, right? Not too expensive to fabricate new tubes. How about making the SC top outletface the front of the car, make a small tube bent upwards hooking to our normal intercooler above the supercharger and the back IC tube going practically straight down into the lower intake. Of, course you would need a larger cowl hood for the clearance of the top mounted intercooler. And to further cool down the air put ram air nostrils in the cowl hood (this would take the place of the electric fan we use by forcing cool outside air in)

make sense??

I think it would work. It could definatley physically be done. The ram air/cowl hood would give clearance and cool down the force air more, and the much shorter route would be more benefinical for more power.

Thoughts??,

Metalman

Sombody has already done that...he post under matt89sc. He doesn't have a cowl hood, he just cut a hole in the hood.

TMIC%20sig%20pic.jpeg

David

Last edited:
I don't know if it works or not. There is probably less pressure drop so that would help some.

I just don't think the IC is large enough and I'm not to crazy about how it looks sitting on top of the supercharger.

David

Moving the IC on top of the engine would put it in an ideal position to soak up all that heat rising from the engine compartment. If you're going to go to the trouble of making new tubes, might as well do a front mount, or adapt a better core to fit in the stock location. The problem with the stock system is more related to the core than the tubes.

Here is an old thread where he discussed it. Chris Lazzo did much of the work.

In the thread it has good picture with the hood on. At speed I don't think there is too much heat rising as it appears to completely clear the hood.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11517

Now ideal are these low pressure drop front mount, or a reliable air to water cooler system.

If you want to be fairly unique, go for it. But the end result isn't going to get you as far as a front mount has the potential to. The surface area of the stock unit, and the pressure drop it creates is not idea. Shortening the tubes is certainly a benifit. But how much hasn't really been quantified. though MannySC with his NO intercooler and NO tubes seems to be promising, though still have issues with heat soak.

Back