Oil Pressure Problem

Thepef

I have a 1994 SC. the oil pressure will drop out when the car is warmed up and at idle. it will have pressure if i give it any gas and when the car is cold it idles just fine.

It had a different front cover and new harmonic balancer put on recently and has been screwed up ever since.

my thought is that the oil pump gears aren't sitting quite right on the front cover.

Any ideas appreciated

Are you using the stock gauge to monitor oil pressure? If so the first thing I'd do is install a mechanical gauge to find out what the real numbers are. The stock gauges are really only an on/off at 7psi indicator (similar to the old idiot light). With just a few fittings you can install a "T" fitting if you want to retain the stock gauge sending unit too. (behind and just below the alternator on my '91).

My '91 runs 60 to 70 psi at cruising speeds (hot) and drops to about 20psi at hot idle in gear - 30psi at hot idle in nuetral. The stock gauge always sits at the same place once running, with only slight variations related to available voltage from the electrical system. When cold it runs about 75-80psi.

This doesn't really answer your question as to what would be causing the low pressure condition, but I'd make sure what the pressures are at idle and at speed before going further with diagnosis.

Good luck,

WRG

You probably have some loose rod bearings. I have had that problem twice.

I'm guessing that when the car is cold it will have good oil pressure until it warms up and the oil thins out. You will need to keep good oil in it because as the oil get broken down and thinner the problem will get worse.

Listen to the motor when you start it in the morning. You will here a knocking noise until the car is able to get its oil pressure up.

Good Luck!!

Back