Thumps and Knocks.

soop

Hey Guys,

I'm a bit worried. A couple of days ago, I turned a right corner on a residential street normally. After the corner and give it a bit of throttle, it seemed to slip slightly twice, then something knocked in the drive train.

Then again on a right turn heading to work, I decelerated, and as I was turning the corner, I hear a sound like metal cogs slipping over metal for about 2 seconds. It just stopped after that and the rest of the turns were fine.

I just bought the thing over a month ago and haven't had it on a hoist yet. I've had a rattle from the cat heat shield at low RPMs but thats it.

The calipers and rotors were all redone before I bought it and it looks like the bearing were done as well. The nuts on the spindles look new. I've had the wheels off to change over to my winters and things look good in there. It has 120,000 miles on it.

Is there something that I can check out? I know that I really need to get the thing on a hoist and have the drivetrain checked.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Brad

Take a look at the rubber "CV" joint boots on the short shafts (axle). If they are ripped, loose, etc, that is a likely source of the problem. Some other possible causes could be the brake rotors making contact with the dust shield, bad wheel bearings, etc...(if the sound was coming from the front, I would say ball-joints...)

Probably a good time to get the car up on jackstands and slide under for a good long look...

Thanks LJ. I was thinking the CVs. I'll need to get it on a hoist this weekend and check things out. CVs, IRS diff bushings, brakes, exhaust, halfshafts......

After dropping another $1500 on the LX just before parking it and buying the SC, I am not looking forward to more.

Thanks again. I'll post what it is when I find out.

I had it on the hoist today, and all bushings, joints and CV boots look great. The drivers' side engine mount is cracked but intact. The IRS mounts are good. The diff fluid looked fine, clean and no particles. It actually looked like things are in good shape.

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe if I ignore it, it'll go away?

:rolleyes:

Maybe the tranny shop next.

For the rattle on the heat shield, go to a hardware store and buy an extra long hose clamp. Put the hose clamp completely around the heat shield and cat, tighten it up and cut off the excess. No more rattle.
About a $2.00 ten minute fix.

Cracked Engine mount...

If the engine mount has a crack in it, it is shot.... The "stock" mounts are hydraulic (liquid filled). Cracks will allow the fluid to leak out and then they collapse. When you replace them, use the solid rubber type. You may experience a little more vibration from the engine, but they last longer and eliminate problems caused by the oil pan smacking the crossmember. I don't know for sure if this is causing the knocking, but it could be a contributing factor. (Replacing mounts is a little intimidating, but if I can do it, anyone can....)

While on the hoist I had them weld up the heat shield. The cat is going and will need replacement soon. There is a bit of a rattle coming from it.

I'll have to order the mounts from mn12performance I suppose. I had them replaced on the LX with Anchor mounts, but they are also fluid-filled. At the time I needed it done immediately and no time to order elsewhere.

I need to have the tranny checked now.

Thanks.

Back