IDLING PROBNLEMS POSSIBLE iNJECTORS SIZE ?

victor malvar

Idling Problems Possible Injectors Size ?

HI,EVERYBODY, BEEN TRYING TO GET THE IDLE ON OUR SON'S '90 SC, BUT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS. BEEN WORKING ON THIS CAR FOR OVER A YEAR AND A HALF. AFTER WE COMPLETELY RE-BUILT THE TOP PART OF THE ENGINE, WE ARE HAVING SOME IDLING PROBLEMS. WE CHECKED THE VACUUM LINES, THE CONNECTIONS, THE PLUGS AND WIRES AND CANNOT COME UP WITH A SOLUTION.WE DID REMOVE THE MAF SENSOR AND IT STARTED TO IDLE PROPERLY. THE ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON, OF COURSE. WE HAVE A 3.5"AIR INTAKE WITH AN 87MM MAFS.WE CURRENTLY USE 38# INJECTORS, BUT SOMEONE TOLD US PERHAPS THEY SHOULD BE HAVE BEEN 42# INJECTORS IN THE FIRST PLACE. WHAT DO YOU THINK? WHEN THE IDLING IS ROUGH, WE CAN SMELL A LOT OF CARBON MONOXIDE. OUR HEADERS HAVE A PLACE FOR THE EGR TO CONNECT TO, BUT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD TO CLOSE THE EGR BY SCP... IF WE DO THAT, WHATS THE SENSE OF BUYING HEADERS WITH A EGR? MAYBE HE COULD HAVE HELPED IN THIS SINCE WE BOUGHT THEM FROM SCP THEY TOLD US TO WELD THEM SHUT HUH? CLOSING THEM AS RECOMMENDED! NO HELP HERE HAD TO PURCHASE A CHIP. WOULD A SMALLER SIZE MAFS BE OF ANY HELP? ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.BEST REGARDS VICTOR AND DIANE... SPINNINGWHEELS-SC
"JUST CANT GET NO SATISFACTION SEND HELP"

THIS POST WAS WROTE ALONG TIME AGO! PLEASE READ THE POST I WROTE TODAY AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST FOLLOWING THIS ONE. I CAN'T DO ALL THAT WE DO, PLUS TAKE CARE OF OTHER PROJECTS THAT WERE ALMOST FINISHED A MONTH AGO! WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENNED TO MY SONS CAR. I HAVE YET TO DELIVER TO HIM :eek: . DIANE AND I HAVE BEEN WORKING PRETTY HARD FOR 3 YEARS, NOW WE NEED ASSISTANCE FROM OUR FRIENDS! WE HAVE DONE MANY THINGS SINCE I WROTE THIS, NOW I NEED TO DELIVER!!! WHERE WE STARTED, THIS WAS BUILDING THIS CAR. THIS CAR WAS THE REASON WE STARTED SPINNING WHEELS TO HELP REDUCE PRICES, WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THAT, BUT NOT OUR FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT PROMISE. :eek: :( :confused: WE FINISHED IT TWICE THE FIRST TIME WE GOT SIDE SWIPED, THE SECOND TIME WE WERE TESTING A G TECH AND SOMETHING WENT WRONG TORE IT DOWN AGAIN, AND WHEN WE FINISHED A MONTH AGO... THE CAR JUST IS NOT RUNNING RIGHT. WE NEED SOME ONE TO HELP US FINISH IT RIGHT. WE ARE OPEN TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP US. WE HAVE OUR HANDS FULL WITH WORK., BUT THIS IS A PRIORITY. THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Some Thoughts

I would for shure say to upgrade those injectors to 42#'s. I got em, no idling problems whatsoever. Also, you should probaly upgrade to a 255lph pump. a 190 seems like it may be just cuttin it. By the way, did you get the heads/cam done up. If you open up your heads and change cams, you may have a lopey idle, and be a little short on fuel. With all the changed you got listed on your member page, you opened up your airflow, you just didn't open up your fuel system as much. On another note, did you try adjusting the idle screw on the mp throttle body? there is one for the idle itself, and a smaller one that controls the throttle blade as well. Try checking the idle screws first, if no help, check your fuel pressure before ruling it out.

P.S. Is the 87mm maf a pro m unit?

Do you have the egr connected? Do you have the EGR adapter on the MP inlet or is it blocked off? Did you get the EGR fitting on the header tightened properly. Be careful I oafed mine and twisted the fitting off overtightening it and had to pull the header to get it welded up. Won't break agian....

What codes are you getting? Is your Pro M 87 calibrated for the 38lb injectors? (they should be fine for your mods. But I have 42s) What speed does it idle at? If its high your IAC sensor may be bad. Did you adjust the voltage on the throttle position sensor? Most all of the MP85s are out of spec and you need to slot the mounting holes so you can adjust the voltage.

How long has the car been up and running? It takes time for the EEC to calibrate itself once you reconnect the battery.

once you get the basics you might look into a Apten chip to dial it in. I have one on my 90 which has similar mods to yours and it idles and runs great.

Use the search feature here. You can read for days and learn a lot about most any mod or problem you can think off.

p.s. turn off the all caps. we don't shout here unless its about the Big Dogs putting up the great numbers on the dyno and low E.T.s at the track.

Good Luck

There is nothing wrong with 38lb injectors. Most likely the MAF calibration is wrong. Get the numbers off the MAF and call Pro-M to verify. I believe that 38's would call for a Cobra 30lb or Mustang 24lb calibration. If it is wrong it can be recalibrated but you have to send it to Pro M to have it done.

As for the EGR, it will cool cumbustion temps and help fight detonation in the mid range under boost. It also reduces N0x emissions. SC's without an EGR require 3-way cats to pass emissions in states with stringent testing.

BTW, you can't smell carbon monoxide. What you are smelling is raw gas and soot. ;)

Last edited:
Hello Its been awhile! We need help from some that can assist us.

This post or thred goes a good while back when we fist decided to restore our Sons car. Thanks to you to you all. As you can see we have all come a long way. I did just about everything you all told me to go do and now, we are all on a diffrent level. This car is the reason, we started spinningwheels-sc, because I wanted my Son who was flying missions overseas in his Bird but not a T Bird, an Army helicopter a Chinook to have his SC when he got home he was gone for two long and scary years. I wanted to see him smile when he got back home and saw his so loved Super Coupe restored pretty much. After all this time over two years the car now has either a bad bearing or valve lash I need to have some one like you David, take my sons car and help me finish this car I have put blood sweat and even tears, into this car, for my son!!!. I have not delivered it to him yet. :eek: I could use some ones help to accomplish this before, I moved on to other things. My commitments are to my family first, myself second! Our customers also come before myself! We have worked hard to keep everyone as happy as possible.Now we need someone to help us accomplish ec verything started. I need help from anyone who would want to help us with this final push. Spinningwheels is taking diffrent form. We will have a new look similar too.http://www.buymoto.com/ ebay is on its way out. We will still have some auctions on thats not so important, Back to my sons car, I'm getting a little older and have not been able to do all the things, I want to finish and accomplish them all to our best. I have also had to deal with many family issues. But I will not quit, not untill I have finished the goals we have set. I'm looking for some help. ASAP Thank you.
anyone Interested in assisting us please call me or email me. THANK YOU.
ALL OUR BEST TO EVERYONE! WE HAVE WORKED HARD FOR MANY OF OUR FRIENDS IN THIS COMMUNITY. NOW WE NEED YOUR HELP! WE CAN NOT JUST STOP SPINNINGWHEELS FROM SPINNING. WE COULD! BUT WE CHOOSE TO DO IT FOR THREE MORE YEARS. THEN SOME ONE ELSE WILL AQUIRE IT. MAYBE ONE OF YOU.... WE HOPE SOMEONE WILL KEEP IT SPINNING. ITS WELL FOUNDED AND SOLID LITTLE COMPANY!
:)
Victor and Diane...........

Last edited:
Back