good news and bad

A

al35thsc

ok the good news is i think i have my rattling problem down...upon inspection i think the rattling is not cat or trannyr elated, but rather it is the u joints that are old and greaseless...of course tha bad news is that these things are a bitch to take off...i think i have to drop my exhaust, drop the gas tanks, and remove the shaft...hammer the crap out of the joints...or at least press them ,install the new joints sand the shaft down...just for fun and to keep it clean and ballanced and reinstall all of the above...maybe a fellow so caller can assist me in this project??? i'll pay for beer and food!!!

al

Are you trying to say you need help? YOU, NEED HELP! NO WAY! LoL.

Unfortunately you'll have to drop the tank on this project....otherwise it's the entire tranny. :-(

I would have to do some serious talk'n over with the wife (pregnancy stuff), but I might be able to swing up there and make it a day's project. I don't have the press for the Ujoint, but I've got everything else to that point. :)

if u have a nicer garage and tool selection, i'll drive to san diego and u wont have to leave her side :) and YES, i need help, in many ways that that can be taken

al "crazy in the head" diggler

Um...don't diss the tools bud. I've got Craftsman, PowerKraft, Klien, Mac, and Snap-On buddy....ALL of which are lifetime replacement...

I've got at LEAST 3 complete sets of sockets and two sets of combination wrenches.....big ol' floor jack, 3' lift jackstands, and a buttload of other goodies.

The big kicker on my end is the garage size. YOu should have seen me in that thing trying to 1) move around and 2) get crap under the car.

Was a trip!

i'm not dissing ur tools dood i'm praising them you should see the selection i have....all primitive made in china crap!!! :lol: it boggles the mind to see mee change my oil....plus i have no garage...well i do but the other car is in there now...

al

im serious about this, let me get another pay check and i will get the fuel pump at the same time, when is good for u???

My bad....I misread your statement.....I thought it said "If you HAD a nicer garage and tool selection" LOL! Whoops...my bad.

If you did come down there would be plently of tools to do the work...but it was tight with just me under the car....much less you, gas tank, exhaust, driveshaft!

If you have the room at your place, then we can probably work there. Heck, even if it's in the driveway, that would be better than where I'm at! LOL

driveway should be good, but it IS east la :lol: u scared texan???

al :smokin:

ok, I guess you don't understand Texans. We pack more guns than most small armies. :)

No, I'm not afraid....just like to rib you. However, if you watch the movies you would swear East LA is not any better than Iraq during the gulf war conflict! Isn't it amazing how propoganda can change the way a person views something, without ever seeing it for themselves!

btw---I will have to talk to the wifie about this. Make sure it's cool with her.

Ya know, You can unbolt the diff , pivot it on the axles and slide the driveshaft right out the back without dropping the tank. done it many times.
Derek

east L A is nada san bernardino has a higher murder rate than east side,

Al and TBK...Let me know if you guys get into a bind with the space and location.
You are welcome to come over our home.
The Beer Barron, Oscar and I can help. I believe Mike offerred to help, so don't forget to ask him to join.

TBK, we live in Ventura County and that is another 1.5 hours from you.
The only drawbacks are; there is no drinking, swearing, chewing tobacco, card playing, fighting, gun play, knife throwing, betting, drug dealing. As well as no rooster fights, dog fights, bar fights, aerial combat, or mortal combat. I'm sure I missed something.
I have plenty of tools.

Derek,
<DIR>I seldom remove all four dif bolts. I always remove the front two and loosen the back two. This lets the dif rotate enough that you can pull the driveshaft out of the tranny, but not out of the car.

In my 93 if I remove all four bolts, the main arms on the IRS prevent the dif from falling enough so the driveshaft can slide out the back. I'm missing it by 2" or so (were the large gear is inside the dif).

Perhaps it's slightly different on an early model....I do know the main arms on the early models are TOTALLY different than my 93. The 89 donor car I had was way different in style.</DIR>

Ron,
<DIR>What fun is it if we can't bring guns-n-stuff? Besides, you didn't say anything about driving a tank San Diego style! HERE I COME FREEWAY! Oh, wait, someone already tried that down here....did a good job screw'n everything up....except the idiot high-centered it.</DIR>

hahaha, wll east la gets bad in some areas but...its not all that scary. in my block, im the one that scares most of the old people with my screeaching tires :)

ok, maybe we can make this a so cal project take pix and start our own little tech articles??? i'd love to get this done before the track runs in june at carlsbad. i want to do the u joints and as long as the tank is down, get to the fuel pump...just need some $$$ but that wont be a problem...i can always overdraft :)

anyway, tbk please check with ur wife and see if shes cool with it, if not ron, mike, and the baron would you guys help out???

al

ps i heard nothing about backyard wrestling, arm wrestling, blow darting, grenade launching, fich fighting, bronc busting, purple nurpling, wedgies, wet willies, and a whole buncha other stuff....but as respectfully as i can, its ur house ron, u set the rules!

"purple nurpling"? where do you get this stuff :lol: I'm up for it... the helping thing, not the nurpling;)

purle nurples i got from "Everybody Loes Raymond" it consists of a 180-270 degree twisting of a mans aeriolis (their nipples) thus resulting ina bruise...therefore "Purple Nurple"

ok, so thats one....ron, Mike??? other doods that are close and want to help out maybe, or meet with us to swap bull plop stoires???

al

Al, all that you mentioned is OK....naturally.
Just like the Barron, the nurple deal is a bit too weird for me.
So, do you guys want to come over to my home?
I didn't hear one way or another from TBK.

I'm currently just try'n to get my stupid PC running...UMPH!

well heres the deal

as soon as i can get the parts, i would like to ask all of you for ur help (rons place and tools, and naturally the assistance of all u knowledgeable gentlemen) this car kind of scares me a bit its a little weird to work on since i was used to working on my dads 78 f-150 and the other cars ive owned.

al

Re: well heres the deal

Al...that's cool.

Just a thought however...."A rattle" is not how you would typically describe a bad driveshaft. It can start out as a "Vibraton" when you power on and may go away as you speed up. As the problem gets worse, the Vibration gets worse. As the u-joint gets more and more sloppy and defective, there will be a profound Klunk when you add power or let off of the gas pedal accompanied with an ever-increasing vibration with higher speed.
Is that what you have?
You know Al, you might consider just taking the shaft to a auto parts store and have them press out the old u-joint and press in the new. You have less chance of deforming the shaft and it cost next to nothing.

Re: well heres the deal

ro0n, i missed ur reply altogether...it is becoming increasingly obvious to me that this noise im getting is exhaust related...BUT, wheni do pump and injectors possibly late summer, i will also replace the u joints...as long as the gas tank and exhasut is down...i'l ask for help then :)

al

Back