EGR??? WHY DO I HAVE ONE???? 35'th Anniv??

35thANNIV. SC

WHATS THE STORY ON EGR'S??? SOME SC's HAVE THEM AND SOME DONT. I HAVE 2 SC's. BOTH '90, ONES A RED 5-SP, AND THE OTHER IS A 35th ANNIV. AUTOMATIC. MY ANNIV. EDITION DONT HAVE A EGR, BUT MY 5-SP DOES. AND MY ANNIV. EDITION RAN A 15.3 BONE STOCK AND 200,000 MILES WITH ONLY NEW PLUGS AND WIRE. SHOULDNT IT RUN 16+. I WONDER IF FORD DIDNT INSTALL EGR's ON THE ANNIV. EDITION TO GIVE IT A LITTLE EXTRA HP (IF THATS POSSIBLE).
IS THERE ANY ONE ELSE OUT THERE WITHOUT EGR'S.

Unfortunately the anniversary editions received nothing different in the engine area from any other SC of that year. In fact, the anniversary package was just an option that one could order on the SC.

EGR breakout by year and tranny:

89 both: EGR

90 auto: No EGR
90 5-speed: EGR

91-93 both: No EGR

94-95 both: EGR

thanks george

Hey whats up George? How have you been? Havent seen you since Bil Evanoffs get together 2 years ago. Have you chromed out the body of your car yet, cause I think thats the only thing left not chromed yet, haha.
George I just came across a article on the SWB, and apparently ford tried the ideal first with a 98-inch wheelbase, before Kenny did your 105-inch w.b. . I would really like to know more about that experiment, do you know anything about that? Like motor size and the way it looked, or even the year. The article stated that Ford designed it to compete with the ZR-1 Corvette and they even installed 315/40Z17 from the Vette. There were also short wheelbase Cougars built for IMSA GTO racing! But Iam not to familar with those either, just remember reading about them.
What info do you have on this?

AUTOMATIC SWB???

i JUST SEEN YOUR PIC OF YOUR EXHAUST AND NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE A AUTO. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY AUTO SWB SC WHERE BUILT? THOUGHT ALL WERE 5-SP.

Doug Kielian of Auto Kraft is the metal wizard behind all of these cars. They are shortened 8" and then welded back together. Ford worked with one that was shortened 13" but that really required some mods. Doug's more sane 8" cut leaves all the glass stock and even now leaves in the stock gas tank. Metal is removed around the quarter panel and over the top. Cut inside removes the rear footwells to preserve gas tank location. My car has a full backseat!

Here is a pic of the Ford one from the magazine article:

sf640.jpg

There are 6 now!
Short Wheelbase Thunderbirds! (and one Mark VIII)

#001 – (TBird body in white) Jeff's Blown 5.0!
(Jeff posts here and on the TCCoA from time to time as SWB001. I believe Jeff's car is on a personal page on the TCCoA.)

#002 – (SC) Wrecked from racing and rumored to be in storage in NY or the Poconos. I have been slowly tracking down the owner to see what happened to this car. He originally sent his car to Doug for the customization. It actually hit the street before the #001 prototype car that belongs to Jeff. (TCCoA article on #002: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/clipings/tbird1.html)

#003 – (Made from 2 SC's) The Grabber Blue one that was Doug’s personal car. Recently for sale in California. Doug and Steph drove it for several years. This car was originally white before being painted Doug's signature Grabber Blue color. I have seen it for sale at least three times in the last 5 years. It is the one that I almost bought and got me interested in having mine customized. (This one is now owned by XR7 Dave and family who frequent these boards.)

#004 – (SC) Sold to a former employee at Doug’s shop. Tubbed out for big slicks. To my knowledge this car was not completed and has never hit the streets. Doug was training one of his body shop guys on how to do the SWB mod. The guy left Doug's shop and took the unfinished car with him. I believe it now resides in the Montana/Wyoming area, but cannot remember for sure.

#005 – (SC) Mine! Stayed at Doug's shop for nearly 18 months due to hidden rust and other complications. Car was out of service for nearly three years! (My site is in my sig.)

#006 – (Made from 2 Mark VIIIs) The Mark VIII. I think Doug is still driving this one! (More pics on Doug's site: http://www.autokraftnebraska.com/)

Just search this site and the TCCoa for SWB and you'll find more information. There is no particular model or options that they were built around and not even all of them started life as an SC.

What kind of performance increace does the SWB create?

Shane

ps- if you dont mind me asking, can you still get this done to your bird, and how much does it cost?

It was originally done to be competitive in certain classes of SCCA racing. Doug will still make one (see link above.) You'll have to contact him about pricing and availabilty to get into his shop. He can be backed up a year or more on these custom projects and the price can vary greatly depending on the shape of your vehicle. Mine had quite a bit of hidden rust in the rockers and started going up from the quoted price of $7,500. That was from a few years back. I also did not have the use of my vehicle for about 18 months while it was at Doug's shop in Nebraska. I don't want to discourage you, if this is something you really want to do, but you must be prepared for the time and money that big custom projects require.

Doug still has the jigs for the car to sit on while the mod is being performed. Here's a pic of mine under construction:

9903ctS1.jpg

Back