SC Fluid leak! Help!!

5spd94SC

Hopefully someone can help me here. My 94 SC leaks a lot of super charger fluid. I've tried looking at it to see where it is coming from but its hard to tell. It seems like it may be coming from the blower snout, it got all over the hood of the car and it makes a mess underneath the blower. I cant even put on my heater anymore cuz after a couple minutes, the smell of the fluid gets too bad inside the car. It takes about 1-2 weeks for 4 oz. of fluid to disappear. Hopefully someone can help, I'd appreciate it. I'd hate to have to take it to Ford and spend a load on it. Thanks for your help guys,
Dave

its gotta be the snout

mine is leaking also all under my hood.. over everything but i will just replace it next year with hopefully the MP2 polished....

Just replaced mine last wknd

The seal that is. It was leaking slowly, but enough to bother me since a rebuilt SC costs $$. If you decide to do the job, you can order the seal from Napa.
To pull the pulley off, you should use a 3 jaw, 5 ton puller. YOu can borrow one from Autozone. Sounds big, but thats what it takes to get the arms to the back side. I'd suggest you put some sort of backing plate against it too to keep from bending the pulley. I used 3 small open end wrenchs and some tape to hold them in place. I also had to drain some of the coolant and take the thermostat pipe off.

After its off, you can pry the old seal out by working around with a screwdriver and toss it. Gently tap the new one in place with a piece of pipe. If you don't have a piece the right size, you can use a socket extension and go around one tap at a time to seat it.

Theres a cool trick to remounting the pulley. Heat it in an oven to about 300 degrees for about 10 minutes and then promptly (with a pot holder) push it onto the shaft. Then use an adjustable wrench to hold the nut attached to the pulley, and tighten the retaining nut until it seats and tighten it down. It goes right on with little effort.
Then put everything else back together, and check the SC fluid level. You may need a new thermostat gasket after removing the pipe.

Have fun. :)

Oh, before I forget.

There is a simple spring clip in front of the seal. Be sure to take it out before you pry the old seal out ;) and don't drop it. The clip goes on again after you install the new seal.

Back