Heater problems

dkmac

Hi another question, I have a 93 SC I purchesed recently. Any way after I replaced the head gaskets I noticed that the car was running cold. The fan was rigged to run all the time. I fixed that problem and changed the thermostat and now engine runs at normal temp. I looked at the heater core and vacum lines and all looks good. Even with engine at norm temp the climate control still blows cool. I can use any imput I can get. I thank yall for your time. God Bless.

My guess is either the heater core is clogged, or the blend air door is stuck in the cool position. The "door" is really a flap which diverts air past the heater core when its set to the cold side, or through it when its set to the warm side.
If you have a climate control, its possible that a small vaccuum hose has come loose or that one of the control diaphragms is not working. I don't know of a simple way to check it without dissassembling the dash.
On the earlier models w/o climate control, there is no actuator or vaccuum line for that setting; the door is moved by a cable, so if the slider moves real easy, usually somethings wrong with the cable. Either its broken, or whatever it attaches to is broken.

One thing you can try is with start the car and turn everything which can make noise off, and the fan on low. Then turn the temp knob to cold and then hot and with your ear at the vent, listen for a wheeze sound and a faint thud when the door reaches the stops. You should hear stuff moving around and some wheezes whenever you switch around from defrost, vent, max A/C, and norm A/C. You may have to get under the pass side dash to hear it.

And of course after reading your message again, I'd suggest you check the vaccuum hoses under the hood. The hose for the A/C controls is very small and runs from behind the intake plenum through the firewall where the A/C lines go through.
Hope this helps.

Thanks bud, you led me on the right track. I don't know why I did'nt try that sooner. I did what you said and listend for the flapper to change when I changed settings and heard nothing. I got up under the dash and found a dis-connected cannon plug. Well I found that it connects to the air box and hallallua I got my heat. Thank you for your help and God bless.:D

Back