Ford GT-What's not to like?

Darkside

Awesome, just plain awesome. Ford built a freakin' supercar for cryin out loud. If you listen quietly you can hear GM and Chrysler wetting themselves. They have NO answer for this. Oh yeah, I guess there's a nice girl in the picture too! Bonus:D Could you stand BEHIND the car next time though honey? Thanks.

site1006.jpg

Yeah this car is a monster. Have you seen the video of the guy driving around in it through detroit. The sound this car makes is almost scary. I just hope Ford continues to make them every year for at least a while, even if its a small number. It's about time we had a true power house under the Ford brandname.

I know what's not to like..... The $150,000 price tag!
I have personally seen the car and heard it run, and believe me, it's unbelievable.

$150,000, that's it!:eek: I'll take two!:D Funy thing is, is that Ford could've asked 300,000 for them and they still would have sold them all.

Last edited:
No, I don't think that's quite right about the $300k. As cool as the car is and it IS a great performer, it's still going to have at least a little stigma about the fact that it is a Ford. Above the price range they're at, you'd have buyers looking for prestige as much as performance, and that means Aston, Lambo, AMG, Porsche and big daddy Ferrari, among the other less produced super cars. I do think the GT will keep up with just about anything, and comaparatively, it is a bargain. It's targeted at the rich who are more likely to USE a supercars performance at the race track, but at a Ford supercar price. That's nothing to be ashamed of, IMO.
If I had the means to get into that circle, I'd love to have a car I could learn to use properly on a race track and I'd go for the GT over a similarly priced European. The good thing about the engine is that you won't have to ship it off for a year in Italy if you screw up.

Do we have to remember that Big Daddy Ferrari lost to ford 3 years in a row when the GT40 came out? Ford almost bought ferrari back then... I'd take the GT over a ferrari any day, I'm sure it'd be a hell of a lot less to maintain then those cars.

Ferrari...The PRANCING horse?...GTFOH!!!!! I dont see anything prestigious about those brands of cars. What makes them so special?
I do agree with you about the price though. That is complete total BS!!!!!!!!!

Ford has a nice vehicle going on there. I can't wait to see on on the road. I wonder if they have any sneaking around Detroit yet. I think I would still take the Ferrari.

Special?.... how about the F1 gearbox, or the F1 motor

-Steve

MIKE 38sc said:
Ferrari...The PRANCING horse?...GTFOH!!!!! I dont see anything prestigious about those brands of cars. What makes them so special?
I do agree with you about the price though. That is complete total BS!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Mike, but Ferrari is everything we love about our cars. It is plain and simple, EVERYTHING!!!!!!! The whole car is built, full leather, comfort, looks, handling, acceleration, top speed... That is why Ferrari and Porsche for that matter are and will always be some of the best made cars in the world to me. I'm not knocking Ford by any means but Ferrari and Porsche are in a different league when it comes to a well balanced package. That is except when Ford does something like this.

P.S. Oh, and that honey can stand in front of my car anytime she wants.

I hope this doesn't share the same fate as the GT40 when it first hit the race scene, by being a peice of crap, it wasn't a performer until they brought Carrol Shelby in and made it capable of finishing a race, and by god did it finish some races:)

BikerSC said:

Special?.... how about the F1 gearbox, or the F1 motor

-Steve

Last I checked the GT was beating everything ferrari had factory except the F50's and Enzo's.

And the problem with the F1 boxes yeah they're nice but sometimes being able to slip the clutch is nice.

Aaron Pedroza said:
P.S. Oh, and that honey can stand in front of my car anytime she wants.

Couldn't agree with you more hehe.

And I'm not saying Ford is everything, just that the GT is gonna give them a nice run for their money.

You're right, and I won't put down the GT at all. It does seem to perform as well or better than the Ferraris it is compared to. I don't think it's been compared to the Enzo yet, may be wrong. I'd like to see how it stacks up. It is certainly a "bargain" for a supercar, if that can be said of any car in that price range. It just doesn't have the prestige of Ferrari or that incredible shift system. Slipping a clutch pales in comparison to shifting in about a tenth of the time a human can. The thing about Ferrari is that it DOES have a lot of prestige. It has history, racing and production, craftsmanship as well as simply being an "artful" kind of car. Italy knows styling. The GT looks as good, in fact, I don't think it was a mistake that it looks similar. Ferrari didn't sell to Ford and that is why the made the GT40---out of spite. Ferrari has a history that demands the prestige, they've been at it for many, many cars and for many years. Ford has the 1 car, limited production decades ago and now updated for new production. It is a great car, but it takes more than 1 car to earn the respect that Ferrari has over many years.

Now, how about a new Pantera to add to the stable? :cool:

Last edited:
Oooooh, a new Pantera, that would be sweet!:D JAFO, that first picture is sweet. The second one does look a little strange. Anybody have any performance numbers on the Panteras? I know they had a 351 in them but I don't remember how quick they are. Ford did have some strange bed buddies didn't they?

On that site I found this new concept, and it looks like there's still life in the company. I don't know what happened with Ford's involvement:

2000newpant.jpg

All I can find is that in '71 it had about 330 hp 351 Cleveland and 0-60 at 5.5 seconds, 14 mi at 14 sec @ 99 mph (really good for then).

http://www.panteraplace.com/page52.htm

The numbers presented in the above chart represents a stock Pantera as tested in 1971. The typical car today is much faster. As and example, Curt Toumanian's mostly stock 1973 Pantera L, with a K&N air filter, GTS Headers & exhaust, MSD ignition, Holley 750 double pumper, Edlebrock intake and mild cam has a best 0-60 time of 4.56 (recorded at sea level). Curt's best standing 1/4 mile is 12.5 sec. Curt's car dyno’d 295 hp at the rear wheels. Given the 18% loss through the transaxle that puts it about 350 hp. Which is about 30-50 hp over a completely stock 1973 engine. The typical built engines that Curt has seen run about 400 to 550 rwhp. Curt expects these cars could do sub 4 second 0-60 times.

Back