Torque Converter Upgrade...........

edspringer

I want to upgrade my TC in my '94 SC. I have read on this site that Pro Torque is a reputable company with a good product. They list four converters for the 4R70W/AODE transmissions on their website:

2400-2600 stall speed with a 10 5/8ths or an 11 3/8ths bolt pattern

2600-2800 stall speed with a 10 5/8ths or an 11 3/8ths bolt pattern

Anyone know which bolt pattern applies to SCs and since I have 3:73 gears which stall speed is right for my SC?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, '94 Supercharger, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, 36# Injectors, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, rear spring airbags.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, 190 l/h Fuel Pump, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler.

Not sure about bolt pattern but if you call them they can help you out. I would recommend the lower stall though. The higher stall would make you lose some of the usable power in the car. If you were to get a bigger cam you might want to go for the higher stall but as is I would go with the lower one.

Aaron/Dave........thanks for the input. I'll call Pro-Torque and talk with them. Just wondering if someone had one installed on an SC like mine and and how much improvement they got.

Ed Springer

90 Black XR7 5-speed: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Upgrade to '94 Supercharger, 36# injectors, 190 l/h fuel pump, 5% SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Magnaflow Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:27 Gears, Ripper Shifter, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires.

94 Red SC Auto: 70mm TB, Fresh Air Intake, Stock 90 SC Pulley, Raised SC Top, I/C Fan, Underdrive Pulleys, Headers, Raven Muffler (no cats) with stock resoantors, 3:73 Gears, 73 CL MAF, Magnacore Wires, TRANSGO Shift Kit, Haydon Auxiliary Transmission Cooler.

torque converter upgrade

I have a small cam in my car and am using a torque converter from lentech, its 2000 stall and actually stalls at about 2200.

I'd say it could be good for up to .25 with traction. The traction part is the big thing. I had other mods done when I did mine so I am just going by some assumptions of what all of them did individually.

the 99+ 3.8L mustang converter will also give you a decent stall, they are around a 2200rpm converter (probibly a but higher on a SC) Even the 94-97 T-bird 3.8/4.6L converter has a higher stall speed than the SC converter stock. Just a few more cheaper options.

Torque converter upgrade

I really dont know that much about torque converters but the lentech is supposed to grab both the shafts in the transmission at the same time. I guess it is suposed to help. Like I said I am no expert. I will say that along with the lenchtech valvebody it make a really nice transmission. Its nothing like a stock one at all I like the way you can shift 1-2-3- and the button for od.:D :D

Back