torque

blaker1128

I have an 89 SC, it put 222 Hp to the rear wheels, but only puts 285 ft. lbs. @3300. Other Sc's seem to make a considerable amount more torque than this. Here are my mods, what could i be doing wrong? Could it be the stock clutch?

Engine
Modifications: Zr motorsport cold air intake
Extreme 9000 plug wires
10% od pulley
new blower
73 mm C&L MAFS
Custom 2 1/2 Y pipe no cats
Turbo mufflers
Resinator
190 LPH holly fuel pump
Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Custom 1 inch raised blower top
SCP Jet Hot coated headers
SCP shorty downtubes
Custom Intercooler w/icebox
1400 CFM fan

Last edited:
Off the top of my head I would say...lack of fuel, you have several intake and exhaust mods but don't list larger injectors. Did you dyno with a wide band o2 ? If so please post the chart.

Just raising the pressure on stock injectors isn't going to work. I would suggest a set of 38# injectors and a custom chip to go with your other mods.

David

I have a set of #36 injectors and the sampling tube at my house, i havent had a chance to put them in but i will once i come home from school. In the spring i want to get it air/fuel dynoed and i guess that will prove it. What chip REALLY works on a Supercoupe, I hear most chips are bull. Its seems like the 2 better ones are the Ecc tuner from mn12, or the newe chips on supercoupe performance.

I've had Hypertech generic chip (crap). I had an EEC Tuner and it's okay but contacts are flimsy and it's very difficult to write your own programs. I'm currently using a custom chip from Apten that's burned on a Diablo blank chip and haven't had any problems with it.

David

This is a list of my mods
FelPro Head Gaskets
ARP head studs
ported and polished intake heads and exhaust manifolds home port
5% pulley
76MM C&L Maf
3:08 Gears
K&N filter on the end of the maf
I was able to dyno 225HP and 334TQ with all this so I would say the same as Dave you need more fuel.
Good Luck

I made 219HP @3800 and held it to about 4200 rpm. I also made 337 foot pounds of torque @ 2800 rpm. My list of mods are small(look at signature) so I would agree with the need of more fuel.

Shane

Blaker, it's not that you are running out of fuel. Peak torque occures at less than 3000rpm with a setup like yours which is well within the capability of the 30lb injectors to provide fuel for. There are other issues that need to be addressed to correct your serious lack of torque. You should be getting about 345rwtq just as Jason is.

My concern lies with your MAF and ZR intake. I have seen many many cars which did not perform when using that combination. It IS very possible that your mixture is WAY off causing a loss of torque. Personally I would go back to the stock intake with a stock 70mm MAF (not the 55mm) and make changes in steps until you find the problem. Many times orientation of the C&L Maf can be a source of A/F problems. It's worthwhile to note that Mike Puckett is running a stock intake at around 325rwhp, so airflow is not the biggest issue with that part.

My check engine light has been flashing on and off occasionally, could this problem have something to do also with fuel pressure, would that effect my air/fuel mixture also. I can try the stock intake and see if that helps out at all.

Back