Cold Air Intake Problem HELP PLEASE!!!

seniors0000

Hello,
I just bought a new cold air intake to replace the old flat filter and filter box on my '91 T-bird SC. There is a picture of the setup attached to this thread or can be viewed at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38634&item=2443845724
My problem is that when I took out my old filter and filter box, I was going to also take the air silencer while I was at it. When I tried to attach the intake tube to the mafs the openings were the same size and the intake tube rubber fitting would not fit over the mafs but I might try again tomorrow and see if I can stretch it over the Mafs end. The main problem I'm having is that even when I have the intake tube pressed against the mafs to see how it is going to look, the intake tube(with filter attached) is too high and sticks out in my engine bay because it's apparent that my hood will not close with the intake system there. Sorry, this is hard to explain but can anyone give me any input or help on this? Thanks for listening and any words of wisdom are appreciated, Anthony

Attachments

• t-bird_intake.jpg
    t-bird_intake.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 372
I really hope...

I really hope you removed the air silencer first before trying to install the cold air kit. The kit will not work without the silencer removed. I can also tell you that the other cold air intakes like the MAC and ZR are only about $180 for the whole kit. Anyway, with the silencer removed, you will be OK.

Don

You might be able to get a smaller filter to clear the hood. Stop by a speed shop and you might be able to find some larger hose fittings. You could also pick up an import magazine and look in there for larger hose ends to make the intake work.

Last edited:
1BADSC said:
Why would removing the silencer make the intake fit any better?

Because the filter is designed to fit by the fenderwell where the silencer is located. Just like the MAC or the ZR.

Some thoughts

Personally, I think those filters like the pic shown stink! They are a paper filter, just like stock, but with color and in a cone shape. They flow better than stock, but not as good as per say a k&n or kool blue filter. Also, having the bend before the maf can cause troubles, so I've heard. Also, since i'm a fan of the bigger is better theory, If you uncoiled that filter, it would be barely as big as the paper filter. I'd say go spend your money on a k&n 7 or 9 in cone, and a peice of sheetmetal for a blocker plate. Just my .02 . Hope all works out for ya.

PS, I seen that filter setup advertised on ebay for not only my civic, but my friends trans am also. Just keep that in mind.

If you guy's would look at the pic showing it on the car you would see that it comes out of the MAF and 90's straight down towards the ground NOT down and into the fenderwell.
Hate to dispell another myth but a 90 in front of the MAF does not cause a problem, Ed up in Canada uses a 90 in front of his MAF and reports no problems at all....and ED races his SC on the track!

yeah, mike I noticed that after I posted. I fixed it. At first it looked like the traditional long CAI tube.

**pearl95sc** K&N

Thanks everybody for all the relpies, feel free to keep giving advice on this. attn: pearl95sc, If I go with the bigger 7" or 9" K&N round filter won't I have an even bigger filter than the round red one in my pic causing a worse space issue? Let me know your thoughts please. If I only had a bigger hole where the air silencer connects under the filter then I could just fit the filter down through that hole to clear the hood. Any thoughts on where to route the intake tube and filter? Thanks guys, Anthony

If I only had a bigger hole where the air silencer connects under the filter then I could just fit the filter down through that hole to clear the hood. Any thoughts on where to route the intake tube and filter?

You must remove the air silencer to properly install the part. The filter is supposed to be attached from the bottom..not go thru the hole like you are trying to do.

I don't see anything wrong with the filter you have..actually it looks like an Auto Physics brand that comes with the ZR intake. Some people think they are better than K&N.

Sorry I can't help you more with the fitment problems because your the first one around here I've seen with that kit. ZR and the other kits use a 3.5" pipe and coupler on the filter side of the MAF...yours sounds like it's only 3" and you will probably have to buy a step up type coupler to make it work.

David

Last edited:
seniors0000,
Here's what it looks like under the air box with the silencer removed. Lots of room for a big filter.

Attachments

• und\'.jpg
    und\'.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 275
Well a 90 degree bend in front of the MAF can definitely cause problems, but that doesn't mean it always will. The reason is simple physics, when air flows around a bend it compresses on the inside radius and decompresses on the outside. Since the MAF samples the air stream from the edge, it will read differently depending on how it is oriented after the bend. There has been some discussion here about this problem with the MAC intake - if you rotate the MAF you can dramatically change the readings. The key is getting it rotated to the right place, then you're OK. Or just get a well designed intake like the ZR. ;)

One last thing.

Hi, so does the intake tube go through the hole where the air silencer is connected to so that the filter is in the fender well? If so, when I remove the air silencer, there are two pieces to that and one of them you are supposed to keep and put back onto the car correct? How do I get the intake tube through the hole if I have to attach that piece back to the air silencer hole? I hope I make sense with what I just wrote. Thanks for everything and I'll watch for a response, Anthony dbledown00@yahoo.com

Back