Codes on modified car 179,188 technical

speedyg

Overall, I would say the car runs good. I rebuilt it at the begining of the summer. It is pretty heavily modified( well thats what my wallet says).
I have two seperate or maybe not so seperate problems. First the car runs strong, but after letting it idle for over 3-5 minutes the car wants to die at every stop. My fix is to unhook the battery, and let it relearn the idle again. This works great untill I let the car idle too long. But will run fine for days or weeks if I dont let it sit at idle. When it is running good I push the clutch in and the RPMs go to 1200 when I slow down and slowly drop to 950, as programmed by my chip. When it is running bad, the RPMs drop fast when comming to a stop with the clutch in, to 350-400 and the car dies sometimes. My limp home fix for this is, come to a stop slow in third gear, and not pushing the clutch in untill I am almost stopped and the tach is at 1000. Then the car 's idle doesnt drop, and it doesnt die.

Secondly, I am getting codes 179, 188, and a check engine light at part throttle. The car doesnt miss a beat, I feel no ill effect when the CE light comes on. It goes off after a few (5-10) seconds. I have NOT gone WOT in this car do to the amount of milage on the new motor.

Things I have checked and replaced: Replaced speed sensor and wiring harness in transmission. Checked the MAF sensor and cleaned it. Replaced fuel filter and checked lines for kinks. Pulled the vaccum hose off of the regulator and found no fuel present. Fuel pressure guage on the rail reads fine. Replaced oxygen sensors last week. Replaced ignition switch. Month old alt. and battery. I could NOT figure out how to check the TPS voltage. I have NOT found any Vacuum leaks.

I have spent weeks reading posts and troubleshooting my car to no avail. Thanks to anyone with thoughts or suggestions.

According to my book here, the codes you are getting both relate to the HEGO(Heated Exhuast Gas Oxygen) Sensor voltage not being right. The 179 is for bank #1, and the 188 for bank #2. I don't have an EGR car myself, but I believe it is a little box like thing. I would say locate the HEGO sensor and replace it. That should take care of your problem. I think it might be the sensor in this picture, but not for sure at all.

Mystery_Part.jpg

Let me know if that works for you Brandon. Looks like there is going to be too much snow for KCIR this weekend :(

Thomas

HEGO is the Oxygen sensors(O2's).
There located in the exhaust downpipe area. One is actualy mounted in the exhaust pipe and the other is mounted in the exhaust manifold.

Well those O2 sensors were the most recent things I replaced. I was hoping that would get rid of the codes, it did not.

I wonder if the wiring where the O2 connector is could be bad, or maybe an exhaust leak at the flange of the mustang headder and the downtube.

Thomas are you coming to the track here in KC on Sunday? they say it may rain. If so, I can probably score another ticket to the Chiefs game for ya. Its Raider week!

Brandon

Man, that would be great. Chiefs vs. Raiders at Arrowhead. I prolly can't make it down though. Supposed to be pretty crappy weather up north here, and don't really feel like driving in it. Maybe another time though!

Thomas

I want to bump this post, it got bounced to page 3 pretty quick. Hopefully someone will see this who can further help me trouble shoot my problems. I probably could have used a catchier title to get more looks, my mistake.

Thanks

Back