Accumulator

Billabong089

I got a new one from prior, the old one though I can't seem to get off and I'm scared that I'll break it and the threads will get stuck or something more horrible... am I doing it wrong lol... left to loosen it, using a 8mm wrench...

I think I might have a mechanic do it, they could probably do it for $30-$50 labor.

its a flowmaster ;)

Its alright, its a bit f*'upd right now since I hit into a curb and it bent the one pipe back a little bit :-/

If you still have the original accumulator on the car you should be able to put an entension in the top and use a ratchet to remove it. It was pretty tight but came right off for me.

Also you can use a strap wrench or I used a oil filter wrench to install the new one along with the wrench. Did not crank down on it for sure.

Really improved the pedal and the light goes out in just a few seconds after the car is started.

ugh well mine was a PAIN to get off, it's an allen key, the size is slipping me right now, first get some penetrating oil or something and let it sit for a while, then use the round end of a wrench and hook it around the allen key to get some leverage and go at it. I did get it (and yes i thought I was gonna break it too) but it does come off, but watch out, it's pressurized (sp?) I sparyed brake fluid all over the engine compartment ( i think that may be hard to avoid)

hope that helps, it does come off...and and you'll notice there is nowhere to tighten the one from prior, so you need a strap wrench

Make sure you pump the brakes like 20 times with the engine off before trying to remove it. That will reduce the pressure in the system dramatically.

If the accumulator has failed quite a bit, it will be full of fluid when you remove it which would explain how it can get all over.

Yes, spray some penetrating fluid down there. The valve body is likely Aluminum, and the fitting on the accumulator i think is steel. So it makes a tight fit over time.

A strap wrench is a good idea as you get more torque. A Socket wrench with a good hex bit would help as well.

I had went to a Ford Dealers Parts Department yesterday to price an accumulator. Ford wanted $220.00 dollars for the part. On one of the postings on this forum a person mention that they got the part for around $100.00. I would like to know where I can purchase the accumulator for cheaper what Ford has to offer.

http://www.priorreman.com

Just give them a call. They are very friendly and professional.

Not the Ford part but a custom replacement that is said to be better. I have one on my SC and it works great.

Last edited:
You are the man wezar,:D I will give them a call. By the way, what did the part costed you?

Last edited:
Ok that is about right. Here in Brooklyn, NY this dealers try to rip another a$$hole when it comes to pricing. Thanks Again.

you could always try a search considering there is literally 50+ posts where and how to get an accumlator... but anyway I'll try the suggestions today, I just dont want to break it and have to pay a bizzilon dollers.

I just got mine from Prior and put it on last week. I'm amazed that dealer wanted $220----mine wanted about $340!! :confused:
For removal, use the allen wrench all I could do was grab the end of that with adjustable pliers and it broke pretty quickly. After that, no problem loosening. DO pump the brakes! I pumped them about 30 times, (no key in the ignition) just to be sure. 3 probably did it though. I didn't have any spray, but brake fluid did make a mess. I couldn't for the life of me figure out taking off the wiper arms, so I still had the cowling on, but loose enough to move out of the way to pop the accumulator out. Watch your vacuum lines, I pulled 2 off on the way out. The new one went in easily, but the hand tightening kind of worries me. I'm going to keep checking it for a while I think. Put some brake fluid on the o-ring for a good seal.

Thanks JAFO for the info.:) I can't believe that your part dealership wanted $340.00 dollars, that's insane! What's up with Ford and their parts pricing?!:confused: I think Ford depending where you go charges whatever they want.

Yeah, I was shocked. I asked why they charged so much when I could get a reman'd one for $100, and did they have access to the reman'd one? They said there were no reman'd accumulators. :rolleyes:
(from them at least ;) )

Remanufactured?

Prior Accumulators are new, imported from Germany I believe. I wouldn't buy one from Ford because the part No. has been obsoleted . If you did actually manage to find one, chances are it has been on the shelf 10+ years and probably no better than the one you'd be replacing as the 1000psi initial Nitrogen charge would have leaked down, over the years, while it was just sitting there...

I wondered how they could reman one of those?! That makes sense. In fact, that makes the dealer price seem even more outlandish, if this one is brand new *and* imported. :confused:

JAFO said:
II couldn't for the life of me figure out taking off the wiper arms

Just lift the arm slightly, then push the retaining tang out. This will keep the wiper arm slightly elevated. Then wiggle them off the posts.

It is not a very obvious procedure.

No its not obvious,

I also put a small screwdriver though the hole in the tang to keep it from latching again while removing the wiper arm.

im going to have a mechanic install it for me, I just dont wanna take a chance.. anyway I took my wipers off and now I cant figure out how to put it back on

Back