car won't start

oxygen822

I have a little problem with my 91 SC. problem started a few weeks ago, the car stalled on me while i was driving it. then it wouldn't start back up. that night i went to work on it and it fired up and ran great for about 30 minutes, and i was baffled. the next day ran fine ont eh way to class, about a mile or so. leaving class i barely go out of the parking lot and it stalled again and wouldn't start. I took it to a mechanic, he tested it for spark and fuel, it was getting both but wouldn't fire. he detatched the MAFS and it fired right up but as soon as he reconnected it, it would stall. he told me it was the MAFS, so i ordered a Pro-M 76MM MAF from supercoupeperformance.com. He put that it and i guess it still wouldn't start so he looked at the crank sensor and realized my harmonic balancer bolt had broken and the harmonic balbancer was sliding out and had messed up the crank sensor. As well as that the DIS module went bad. if it's related, i don't know, but my bill has been adding up very quickly since the DIS is like $300+ alone. now, the car still will not start. when the mechanic gave it a little gas it fired, but stalled hard as soon as he took his foot of the gas. sounded like the timing is a little off. Didn't know if any of you, more knowledgeable SC'ers would have any clue as to what's wrong. It's throwing two codes, one is a canister purge (?) and i forgot waht the other one was.

Well, I would guess the only problem with the car in the first place was the balancer. It was wobbling and causing the crank sensor to not send a signal. If you didn't replace the balancer, make sure to do that because it will not only cause probs with the sesor but it has been known to snap the crank. Make sure the clearance on the sensor is right to, to much and it won't read it. Don't remember what that is though.

P.S. Just a side note, don't just throw things at this car to see if it fixes the problem, you will go broke quick that way. Come here first and most of us have gone through the same prob ourselves.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron, I had posted on here when my car first started acting up but I couldn't run codes myself so I didn't have enough information... I had suggestions from crank sensor to MAF, to IAC. I'll give the mechanic a call this morning and have him check that stuff over, make sure it's all ok... Thanks again for your help.

Pat

harmonic balancer

i have had this problem my self and cannot stress how important it is that you get the sensor just right i looked in the chiltons manual and it says that your supposed to use tool #6316-ah but i didnt on mine if you look at it good you can tell where it needs to be,pretty close and centered...the book says to tighten screws to 22-31 inch pounds also i really had to tighten the pully itself to get it all the way on the crank so the sensor would pick up the signal...hope this helps

Thanks for your help.... i have a chilton's book, i guess i'll take that to my mechanic just in case... :-D

thanks again,

Pat

Back