"Check Engine Light" - sputter and stall

pops90sc

I started my car, drove off and after a few seconds it began to sputter like it wasn't running on all cylinders. Then the "Check Engine Light" came on. I was able to circle around the block and park it.

It will try to idle but ends up stalling if I don't give it gas. The CEL comes on after about 10 seconds.

I've read many of the posts on this forum and figured I'd try the easy fix - replacing the cam sensor.

Put the new one in, connected the battery and started it up. Ran lousy for about 20 seconds then smooth for about a minute, then stalled. Now same problem again.

I ordered my Helms manual a few days ago but it hasn't arrived yet. I will also pick up a code reader tomorrow.

Any insights or suggestions? 120k, all stock.

Thanks,
Brian

HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM

HEY, I HAD A PROBLEM JUSY LIKE THE ONE YOU ARE EXPLAINING, HERE I ENDED UP TIGHTNING UP MY INTERCOOLER TUBES,AND CLEARED THE PROBLEM UP, TRY THAT AND ADD SOME NEW SEALANT, LET ME KNOW HOW THAT WORKS FOR YA!!!!!! HAVE A NICE DAY, AND DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT!!!!!!!

TIM!!!!:D

I have to ask.... Have you checked to make sure the bolt is still in the crankshaft for the harmonic balancer? Are the pulleys running true?

Okay, if I'm interpreting this correctly, here's the codes from KOEO: 45, 45

"Thermactor air flow is alway upstream during Engine Run Self-Test,

OR

Distributorless Ignition System (DIS) or Electronic Distributorless Ignition System (EDIS) problems - primary circuit failure in coil 1,2,3 or 4.

So anyway, I reseated all kinds of connectors, started it and kept it running until it warmed up a little. Now it's running fine, so I cleared the codes and suppose that now I'll wait until it happens again or hope that it was but an aberration.

wezar: All the pulleys spinning true, no wobbles.

sctim: Thanks for the tip but it's probably related to something electrical if it went away by itself.

Any other thoughts from the distinguished panel of experts?

B

Problem came back the next day. . .

Was able to have it limp into the shop. . .

Was told 2 dead cylinders - replaced DIS.

Still one dead cylinder - replaced Coil pack, running okay now.

Starting to show it's old age now, since July it's ingested:

New IAC - engine accelerated by itself, goose sound
New upper control arms and ball joints
ABS accumulator - from Prior
DIS and Coil pack

I think it's coming time to buy a new vehicle and make the super chicken the fair weather weekend toy.

Back