PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Questions

birdofprey
11-21-2003, 01:48 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks and what they are using.

1.) How big of shot are peple using with stock internals, and rebuilt motors?

2.) What Kind of system, wet or dry? And what brand to people prefer.

3.) Last question, what supporting mods are reccommended when adding nitrous?

Any and all feedback would be great. Thank you!

fastsc92
11-21-2003, 07:32 AM
I use a Zex 55-75hp dry shot. I love it. With Zex, although its a dry shot, it increases fuel pressure and supplys extra fuel. I've seen a solid 60hp gain at the wheels on the dyno with the 65hp jets running very rich. You can see the mods i have in my sig. I am also installing ported heads and a cam in a few weeks. I wouldn't go over 75hp on this motor. Its under a lot of stress already. I would make sure you at least have a 190 of not a 255lph fuel pump and at least 36lb injectors. I used 30lb injectors but they were maxing out, but the car didn't run lean. I would also think about getting a bottle heater. With a low bottle pressure you wont get any power. The pressure should be around 950psi. Also if you want to race at the track you need a purge kit, plus it looks cool lol. Other than that i'd say get a kit and be safe with it and have fun. Nitrous doesn't make power, fuel makes power so just make sure you have enough fuel. If done right nitrous will not degrade the life of your motor and it will be a safe power adder.

birdofprey
11-21-2003, 03:03 PM
fastsc92

So even with your M/T you still cant hook up? Your trap speed seems to be good but with a trap like that, you should be in the 13's. On the 65 shot how much time do you think you gained in the 1/4. Nittos seem to hook pretty good, i have no problem launching the car on mine. About the purge kit the track by me, it is not nessasary, all you have to have is a blow down tube, but yes purge kits are cool.
By the way for being 18 you have a lot of nice mods. I bought my car when I was 17, I am now 20 and just about to graduate college, so after college is done, some major work is going to be done. Im planning on putting a full exhaust on, and upgrading the fuel system. but for now just the mods i have on now, and probably underdrive pulleys this winter and maybe, if money permits a new supercharger top. Thanks again for the info.

fastsc92
11-21-2003, 03:35 PM
At the time, I had no slicks and now i sold the M/T to get some bfg's which i have not tired. I say a 65hp takes about a .8- 1 sec. off your time in ideal conditions. The mph that i'm running is good for a 13.5. But i can only get a 60' of 2.3ish. I guess i have quite a few mods for my age. Many people are surprised. I got the car when i was 16. Last year i actually ran a 14.2 at 94mph with only an exhaust no cats, CAI, and 5% pulley. Now this year i have all those mods only to run the same time but much faster. I hope that with this cam and heads that will be installed in the next few weeks i should be knocking on 12's door. Hopefully. Now its tough because of school..i dont have much money. In the spring i was doing good, buying many parts but as summer winded down i had to save for college expences.
As for the purge kit, my track requires it. I believe it is an IHRA rule for no nitrous backfires. The blowdown tube is only needed when the bottle is in the passenger compartment (hatch cars) If its in the trunk its not needed. I'd check your local track rules because i think a purge is required.

kuhnga
11-21-2003, 05:23 PM
fastsc92 - I like your little Avatar! The MT streets are by far the best tire availble to launch a SC, especially a 5 speed. As you mentioned if you just work on your 60 foot and nothing else you can cut .7 to 1 sec off your time. I launch at at least 3500RPM and have little to no traction problems on a good light.

As for the Nitrous a blow down is required unless you have a firewall built in the trunk, I was sent home once because I left mine off. I never heard of the purge being required anywhere, and to be honest I do not see how that is in anyway a safety device.

Although Zex is a nice package I would recommend NOS or Nitrous Express EFI kit(wet)

birdofprey
11-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Yeah I checked my track regulations and the only requirment is a blow down tube.

As far as reccomending NOS or nitrous express, which one do you use or which one do you think is best.

For the wet kit will I need to upgrade my fuel system? I still plan to because when I get out of school in the next 9 month before I start paying off school loans, im looking to upgrade the fuel system, and put full exhaust on. Then the nitrous. Well thanks for your imput.

David Neibert
11-22-2003, 12:06 AM
If your going with a wet kit, I think the best ones out there are Nitrous Express and NOS...I ended up going with the NOS kit just because it was easier to buy (Summit or Jegs) and the accessories and component parts like jets and nozzels are easier to find.

I bought the V8 universal wet kit. It's adjustable anywhere from 50 to 175 HP just by changing the size of fuel and nitrous jets. I also bought every safety device I could think of, like a fuel pressure switch and an rpm on/off window switch.

The bottle pressure gauge and heater and bottle blaxnket are also a must. I like the NX heater the best, it uses a pressure switch to control the heater blanket instead of the temp probe used on the NOS heater.

If your going over 60 HP you may also need different spark plugs (platinum tips may blow off) and a chip that will pull timing when the nitrous is being used. Rule of thumb pull 2 degrees of timing for every 50 HP..I've got mine set to pull 5 degrees.

You should also read the article written by Wayne Ing, it's posted on the SCCoO website. Lots of good info in it. Wet was what I wanted/needed but a dry system like the ZEX would probably be better for your car.

David

GooeyGus2
11-22-2003, 01:04 AM
1.) 55hp dry shot

2.) Zex Nitrous kit #82011

3.) basic bolt ons and fuel upgrades (exhaust, fuel pump, injectors)

kuhnga
11-22-2003, 07:25 AM
Davids advice is very good, but instead of a chip you can just pull your octane pin or put a toggle switch on it. As David said that is only needed from 60-75 and up. I wuse copper 764 autolites and they work great as long as the pin is pulled at 100 shot. Wet kit is the best option.
Gary

Turbo351
11-22-2003, 11:12 AM
http://host.sccoa.com/sccoo/Faq/nitrousoxide.htm

birdofprey
11-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Ok i know the difference between a dry kit and a wet kit, but some people say you get better results with a wet kit... Is this true?

When would you reccomend getting a wet kit over a dry kit?

Last question is... can the stock internals handle a 100 shot?

fastsc92
11-23-2003, 08:38 PM
100hp is pushing it. Stay with a 75hp at the MAX. You'll feel a difference dont worry. Wet is better in its own way. You're able to add more power safer because the fuel is enriched at the same time vs a dry kit that will cause a lean mixture unless you tune your car to run rich beforehand and then cause a good ratio while spraying. I like the zex dry set-up becuase its super easy to install and i got a solid 60hp out of a 65hp shot at the wheels. The zex dry shot increases fuel via the FPR. Works well.

GooeyGus2
11-23-2003, 11:54 PM
a wet kit is better for bigger shots like 100 and up. Dry is good if you are only going to run smaller ones becuase its easy to install and use.